2001 Chevy Impala After replacing tons of parts my 2001 imp

FULLOFJOY87
  • 2001 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Engine Cooling problem
2001 Chevy Impala 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I just recently replaced the water pump, had a radiator flush and also replaced my radiator cap and about six months ago I had my head gasket replaced as well as the intake and as of today my car continusley over heats and the car will not blow out heat unless you are actually driving the car but why'll sitting in park there is no heat. The same as when I go to heat up my car in the morning I can let it run for twenty minutes but when I go to leave and get in it, it's as if I just got in and turned it on at that moment instead of twenty minutes ago. Can someone please help me I've been to several differnt mechanics but no one has a anwser can some one just give me a direction to began looking.
Wednesday, December 30th, 2009 AT 11:43 AM

DOCFIXIT
Has thermostate been replaced with a 195 deg?
Wednesday, December 30th, 2009 AT 1:18 PM
FULLOFJOY87
I have replaced my thermostat and I just recently noticed that the two tubes that run into the heater core, one of them is running hot and the other cold! Would you have any idea because I recently took it again into another shop and they did a pressure test and diagnostic ect. And they could not find anything, but I just recently noticed the one hot and one cold tube but besides that I don't know what to do any more! Please help me even if it's a guess that would be wonderful! My car just keeps almost overheating and then I pull over and bleed the lines and it's fine again for a very short amount of time!
Saturday, January 2nd, 2010 AT 6:43 PM
TAKECHARGESARGE
Fullofjoy87,

Since one of the tubes is hot and the other is cool, it seems as if something is clogging the heater core. Have the heater core backflushed.

Also, radiator flushing has been known to not work very well. It depends on how contaminated the radiator is. If the heater core is plugged up, chances are the radiator is also plugged.

TakeChargeSarge
Saturday, January 2nd, 2010 AT 8:58 PM
DOCFIXIT
Sarge is right pull off heater core lines and use garden hose to back flush. Also check to see if cooling fans come on.
Sunday, January 3rd, 2010 AT 1:01 PM
FULLOFJOY87
Right. One of the several mechanics that have worked on my car one of them told me he had indeed pulled of the tubes and flushed the heater core and the fluid that was flushed from my radiator was pretty gross and discolored. My question is have you have heard of vapor lock being created from having extremly clogged heater core or radiator? Because I have indeed had a flush of both! But the engine runs perfectly fine, there is no radiator fluid in the oil but vapor lock and overe heating occurs after driving for a hour or two if that. And as soon as you bleed the air out of the lines the temp. Goes back done and the car goes back to running completly normal for a hour or alittle more. O and I also had a pressure test performed and it came back as ok, nothing as abnormal or anything. This car is just driving me nuts and I keep telling me self I'm going to beat it LOL! Thank you both for helping me I'm very appericate honestly. Good things come to good people!
Sunday, January 3rd, 2010 AT 4:55 PM
FULLOFJOY87
Right. And yes sir my fans are coming on, and one of the several mechanics that have worked on my car one of them told me he had indeed pulled of the tubes and flushed the heater core and the fluid that was flushed from my radiator was pretty gross and discolored. My question is have you have heard of vapor lock being created from having extremly clogged heater core or radiator? Because I have indeed had a flush of both! But the engine runs perfectly fine, there is no radiator fluid in the oil but vapor lock and overe heating occurs after driving for a hour or two if that. And as soon as you bleed the air out of the lines the temp. Goes back done and the car goes back to running completly normal for a hour or alittle more. O and I also had a pressure test performed and it came back as ok, nothing as abnormal or anything. This car is just driving me nuts and I keep telling me self I'm going to beat it LOL! Thank you both for helping me I'm very appericate honestly. Good things come to good people!
Sunday, January 3rd, 2010 AT 4:57 PM
TAKECHARGESARGE
Fullofjoy87,
Yes, I have heard of vaporlock and it's usually caused by something. In this case I believe it is being caused by the clogged radiator not being able to pass enough coolant to keep sufficient supply for the water pump so it cavitates and tries to pump air. This air accumulates in the uppermost areas of the engine where the bleed screws are located. I really don't know an easy fix for this because I am so doubtful of radiator flushing being successful.
TakeChargeSarge
Monday, January 4th, 2010 AT 9:26 AM
FULLOFJOY87
We did a radiator flush with a mixture of Tide laundry detergent (recommend by another mechanic) and that solution indeed cleaned it out because the heat is worken better and it's not longer over heating. Now adays probley every four to five of driving even off and on the low coolant light comes on and I have to add more coolant to the engine. And once in awhile I have to bleed the lines again. By any chance would you have any guess to what may be causing this probem or what the issue may be within the engine! Any help would be so greatly appericated!
Wednesday, January 27th, 2010 AT 12:55 PM