2001 CHEVY IMPALA 2001 IMPALA RADIO PROBLEM....

• TampaBlack
  • 2001 CHEVROLET IMPALA

2001 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 60007 miles

My radio was working fine, then one day the sound was fading on & off.(Like on 15 sec then off 10sec) then it just quit & no more sound. The radio lights are on & everything seems to work fine, just no sound is coming out. I didn't spill anything on anything & checked the speaker wires all seemed to be fine. I saw a stock amp in the trunk between the 2 back speakers. Could it need a new amp or is there an amp built into the stock radio which might have blown. Basic question is what do I need to do? Buy a new radio or amp or both or could it be something else?
Tyvm for help, pls help

Thursday, January 8th, 2009 AT 9:53 AM

• Nasute

Have the same problem. Not the fuses. From what I understand, it is either the amp, radio or ground wire.

-1
Sunday, May 3rd, 2009 AT 12:31 AM
  • Tommy63

The amp between the rear speakers is powered up by the two orange wires in the blue plug. Check for voltage there first. Common problem is that the factory splice gets corroded and loses connection. The connection is by the right rear door sill under the carpet at the pillar. See the photo of my vehicle.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/354493_DSC02101_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/354493_DSC02102_1.jpg

+1
Sunday, May 10th, 2009 AT 10:50 PM
  • Nasute

Life saver. I will check it out tomorrow

-1
Tuesday, May 12th, 2009 AT 1:33 AM
  • Nasute

I had a problem water leaking into my passenger side floors. When I pulled up the carpet there was a lot of water retained under there. Could the water be the cause of the wires not properly working? And can drying it out eventually lead to working wires or?

Thursday, May 14th, 2009 AT 3:05 PM
  • 2CarPros Ken

Hey Nasute,

The water should not cause a problem, it is more likely the radio itself has gone out. If you hear no sound and the fuse is okay the unit is bad because the front speakers do not use the amplifier.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Thursday, December 1st, 2016 AT 4:29 PM