2000 Chevy Impala Rear Window Heater not Working

• 2 POSTS

Heater problem
2000 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130, 00 miles

Hello. The heater in my rear window stopped working this winter. My mechanic said I would need to take to a glass repair shop to have the contacts soldered, and I might have to have the entire window replaced. The first place I called said they didn't do that kind of repair. I haven't called anyone else. Is this something my husband could do? I hate the thought of replacing the whole window, but really need it heated in the winter.

Sunday, June 28th, 2009 AT 6:30 AM

GRID FILAMENT REPAIR 1. To repair grid, turn system off and disconnect negative battery cable. Gently clean area to be repaired with fine steel wool. Wipe area clean with isopropyl alcohol. Be sure to clean 1/4" (6 mm) beyond each side of break. 2. With glass at room temperature of 70-90 F (20-32 C), position masking tape along both sides of grid line at damaged area. See Fig. 1 . Apply grid repair material to grid and carefully remove masking tape. Holding heat gun 1" (25 mm) from repair area, apply heat at a minimum of 500 F (260 C) for 2-3 minutes. If heat gun is not available, allow repair area to air dry for at least 24 hours. 3. Test defogger operation to verify repair. If repair appears discolored, apply a coating of tincture of iodine. Allow iodine to dry for 30 seconds and carefully wipe off excess using lint- free cloth.

They sell the kit in parts stores. If the wire came off, you should be anle to resolder it with a soldering gun, hold the wire to the area it attaches to, heat until solder just softens, remove heat and it should be good to go! Check your email for a complete step by step PDF on resoldering the wire to the grid.

Sunday, June 28th, 2009 AT 10:11 AM