2000 Chevy Impala Fule injection system

SPIRITSOUP
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Okay, My car had set for a week due to snow because I also have a 4x4. When I went to warm it up there was an explosion and a fire in the engine compartment. My question is what would cause an explosion to occur that involves the fuel system. Needless to say the plastic fuel intake system melted. I had never heard of this happening to anyone I know and wonder has this happened to anyone else. The car ran great previously to this episode, no noises or smells, it just blew up. Anyone have any answers or experiances like this
Wednesday, December 31st, 2008 AT 4:59 PM

HRIFFEL
Possible answer could be bad o rings on fittings to the fuel injection tubes found on to of motor along front and back of engine. The exploswion could have been caused by raw fuel being dumped on to of motor and being ignited by some source of spark. Replaqce the o rings because the deteriate over time because of the alcohol in the fuel. Hope thisw helpsw. BAD DESIGN!
Friday, January 2nd, 2009 AT 11:03 AM