2000 Chevy Impala Engine dies often and without warning whi

MISTERME79
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I have an 00 Impala LS 3.8. I had to replace the upper manifold last winter and then tuned it up. It ran fine for a while and then it would search for power for a split second. Minor at first until the car died all together on the expressway. It started right up though and would do that periodically and then it would not start back up. It would crank for a while, trying several times, and then eventually it will catch and run fine. It also will hesitate and the RPM's will go way up and down like it is choking, but all the hoses and airways are fine. This happens when I first put it into drive if it has been sitting for more than an hour. I had a recall for a spark plug wire clip and asked the mechanic what was working about it and he noticed and pointed out that one of my spark plug wires was arcing and that is likely the problem and since he didn't have that wire in stock, he put plastic insulation on it as a temp help. That completely melted and I replaced the wire. Car ran about the same and has died twice on me yesterday. I will replace anything myself, but can't afford to play trial and error or bring it in for a diagnostic test (which is usually inconclusive anyway). Any ideas on where to look next. Spark plugs again? Fuel injectors? Please any feedback will be helpful.

Thank you,
Mike
Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 10:22 AM

TAKECHARGESARGE
Hi misterme79,

The answer is "Crankshaft Position Sensor".

Yours is almost the exact story I was telling anyone who would listen to me when my car's engine was dying almost every day. Most times it was when I was on my way home from work (20 minute drive).
There was no warning and it almost seemed that someone was turning the ignition switch off.

The mechanic I found took the car and did diagnostics (no problems according to the computer). After two days he finally got the engine to die, but instead of troubleshooting, he started it up again and it wouldn't die again. The following day, it died, he did the troubleshooting, decided the ignition module must be intermittent, and replaced the ignition module. The car started and ran fine. The next day, he called and I thought he was going to tell me to come and get my car but, instead, he told me that he thought my car was possessed. After the laugh, he told me that the engine had died again and that the only thing left to look at was the Crankshaft Position Sensor. He removed the new ignition module, installed a new Crankshaft Position Sensor. The car started and the engine didn't die.
The next day, he started and ran the car and the engine didn't die, so he called and told me to come get my car. It has been over three years now and the car has not failed to start, stay running, and has not died except when the ignition switch is turned to the "OFF" position.

Good luck with the other problems. They may or may not be corrected by changing the sensor. Also,
GM didn't do us any favors by removing the heat shields and replacing them with lousy ignition wire clips. I am still steamed about that one. Not much of a fix.

Regards,

TakeChargeSarge
Sunday, September 13th, 2009 AT 1:33 AM
MISTERME79
Thanks Sarge. It does sound like the same issue. Any chance you remember how much it cost to have it repaired? I looked into the placement of the sensor and looks like I may have to remove half my engine compartment to get to it.
Monday, September 14th, 2009 AT 6:28 AM
TAKECHARGESARGE
Misterme79,

I forget the exact amount, but it was less than $300 and that included the diagnosis. The current price for the part is $35 to $40 depending on the manufacturer. The part can be purchased online. A GM dealership or neighborhood parts store will probably be considerably more.

TakeChargeSarge
Monday, September 14th, 2009 AT 8:32 AM
BIGJIM5
THAT WAS HAPPENING TO ME. I CHANGED THE

MAFLOW SENSOR. RUNNING GREAT NOW.
Monday, September 28th, 2009 AT 2:00 PM