Battery light

NICHOLE23
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA
The battery light in my 2000 chevy impala will come on while i'm driving and shut my car off. It comes on when im driving or when im idling. I have taken it to the dealership and they said they couldn't get it to shut off for them. They tried saying it was the fuel pressure regulator, but that didn't fix it, then the next time it happened my service traction system light came on and then just minutes after the battery light came on and it died, it happens almost every morning to me, but never can the dealership mechanic get it to do the same thing! I even left it there over night 2 times to so they could hook the computer scanner to it, but it would never do it for them! They get a code, but not a helpful one. They thought it might be the ignition switch assembly because they felt a catch in the system at times, but then it has happened once since then, this time when I tried to restart it was hard to get it to turn over and it died while I wasn't driving, but still that battery light was on. The only other solution they have is that it could be a PCM (Power Control Module) problem, but the part is expensive so I don't want to risk it til they can get it to do it, so let me know if you found out anything about yours because the problem sounds similar! I'm getting tired of going to the dealership and paying money for something that's not fixing the problem based on their assumption of what it could be!

I don't understand what is going on?
Wednesday, April 9th, 2008 AT 7:16 AM

RHALL77
This sounds like you have a positive battery cable that is shorting out which is common or the battery is shorting internally. I would replace them both to recheck it.

This guide will show you how to replace the battery and the cable is located down on the starter.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-car-battery

Please run down this guide and report back

Cheers
Wednesday, April 9th, 2008 AT 7:36 AM
JRPRZ4
You guys are smarter than the dealer! I had this problem and did what you said the problem has not been back since. :) I love this site.
Sunday, April 20th, 2008 AT 9:49 PM