2000 Chevy Impala 2000 Impala CRUISE NOT WORKING HEADLIGHTS

BPW24
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA
2000 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120k miles

Hi and thanks for taking time to read this. Now, down to business.

My father in law has a 2000 Impala (former police car) that has a few issues. First things first, the cruise control does not work at all. I have checked the fuses and all fit tight and are in good working order. Everything under the hood related to the Cruise Control are all plugged in and intact and appear to visually be ok. Secondly, the headlights stay on at all times. The only way to turn them off is to take out the fuse. They will not turn off with the switch itself. So I believe the fuses for them are out, due to I don't see him driving at night and headlights are off. Thirdly, the car some times shuts off while driving, even under an acceleration load. It doesn't seem to have any sort of pattern of when it does it.

I feel all these problems are electrical, due to this being some sort of law enforcement car with wiring and all. It has two big spotlights on it, neither of which are actively connected. I have read several forums and can't quite nail down the answer. I believe the problem is either a bad ground or some sort of issue with the ignition switch. Any help on getting me in the right direction is appreciated. Thanks
Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 2:14 PM

LOUT5369
Are the headlamps on only with the car running or are they on constant, draining the battery?If only when running these are Daytime running lights and they are supposed to be on, Otherwise I would pull the relay that says "DRL" the relay may be stuck, as far as the cruise is concerned check the bulb in the High stop lite, a Blown 3rd brake lite bulb will stop the cruise from working. Let me know how you make out. Lou
Thursday, August 6th, 2009 AT 10:00 AM
BPW24
Thanks for the reply. No, the lights stay on at all times, with the switch off and keys out. I know the DRL's stay on while driving, but that is not the case here. I also wanted to mention the fact that the airbag light stays on as well. I had no idea that a brake light being out like that would stop the cruise from working. That is weird. I will go check the bulb and reply back, albeit it may be a few days or through the weekend. Thanks again.
Thursday, August 6th, 2009 AT 12:01 PM
LOUT5369
That has to be a bad relay, for them to stay on constant, try puling out the DRL relay, if the lights go out try the headlamp switch, see if the lights work normally, As far as the cruise is concerned, yea you're right that is weird, if I hadn't experienced it myself, I wouldn't believe it. But it happened to many times to be only a one time thing.
Thursday, August 6th, 2009 AT 12:32 PM
TAKECHARGESARGE
Hi bpw24,
I had a similar stalling problem about three years ago.
My engine would stall and the only indication, other than the loss of power, was the battery in the message center. It was like somebody had turned the Ignition switch to OFF then turned it ON again.
The engine died and it usually took 5 to 15 minutes and I could start up and drive again.

If it's stalling without even a trouble code, it is most likely the Crankshaft Position Sensor. It is located below the Ignition Module. If it malfunctions, it will shut off power at the Ignition Module.

Anyway, after my Crankshaft Position Sensor was replaced, The problem went away.

TakeChargeSarge
Thursday, August 13th, 2009 AT 10:34 PM