1996 Chevy Impala 1996 Chevy Lumina 3.1 V6 fuel pressure re

• 1 POST

1996 Chevy Impala 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 147000 miles

hi, im tyring to see if anyone can help me with my chevy lumina my fuel pressure regulator is leaking and I heard that I got to take the fuel rail off to replace it can you give me step by step directions how to replace it, and if I need to get any gasgets or anything for the parts I take off to replace the regulator because its the only car I got. Thank you.

Thursday, October 22nd, 2009 AT 4:48 PM

Here are the directions:

meter body assembly

1.Properly relieve the fuel system pressure. If not already done, disconnect the negative battery cable.
2.Remove the air intake duct (TBI bonnet).
3.Unfasten the 4 pressure regulator retaining screws, while keeping the pressure regulator compressed by maintaining pressure on the regulator cover.

The pressure regulator contains a large spring under heavy compression. Use care when removing the screws to prevent personal injury.

4.Carefully remove the pressure regulator cover, then remove the pressure regulator spring, spring seat and pressure regulator diaphragm assembly.

To prevent leaks, the pressure regulator diaphragm assembly must be replaced whenever the cover is removed.

5.Check the pressure regulator seat in the fuel meter body cavity for pitting, nicks or irregularities. Use a magnifying glass if necessary. If any of the above is present, the whole fuel body casting must be replaced.

To install:

6.Install the new pressure regulator diaphragm assembly making sure it is seated in the groove in the fuel meter body.
7.Install the regulator spring seat and spring into the cover assembly.
8.Position the cover assembly over the diaphragm, while aligning the mounting holes. Be sure to use care while installing the pressure regulator to prevent misalignment of the diaphragm and possible leaks.

Make sure the hold the pressure regulator cover in place to prevent the diaphragm from slipping out of the groove.

9.Coat the 4 regulator retaining bolts with Loctite 262 or equivalent suitable thread sealer, then tighten the screws to 21 inch lbs. (2.4 Nm).
10.Connect the negative battery cable.
11.With the engine OFF , check to see that the accelerator pedal is free by depressing the pedal to the floor, then releasing it.
12.Turn the ignition switch to the ON position for 2 seconds, then turn OFF for 10 seconds. Again turn the switch ON and check for fuel leaks.
13.Install the air intake duct (TBI bonnet) with the gasket.

This is what I was able to access for you. Let me know if it helps.

Sunday, November 1st, 2009 AT 9:05 PM