1965 Chevy Impala Engine cranks, car won't start

VIVSAKOVICH
  • 1965 CHEVROLET IMPALA
1965 Chevy Impala V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic <10000 miles

Restored 396ci engine. Had stock distributor, car ran crappy so changed to HEI. Since changed to HEI, car runs great but has hard time starting.

I drive this car on a weekly basis, it starts every morning but if I turn it off and try to turn on again, it cranks but doesn't want to turn over and eventually the battery drains.

Currently battery = 530CCA. Since I have HEI distributor, do I need battery with more CCA? I tried charging my battery to start car this morning and no luck.

Thanks!!

Viv

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/444565_car_1.jpg

Sunday, December 6th, 2009 AT 1:02 PM

BLACKOP555
Ahh hei! Good choice good choice. That shouldnt affect the cold cranking amps tho.

So vehicle starts good first time your saying? But once its warm and turned off it seems to ahve trouble to start? Sounds like you may have the ignition base timing too far advanced and its not wanting to start up because its firing wrong. And the starter is fighting against all the forces of the combustion
Sunday, December 6th, 2009 AT 5:57 PM