1962 Chevy Impala REAR DIFFERNTIAL PROBLEMS

KRIS OLSON
  • 1962 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Purchased car and it had a bad rear seal on passenger side. Drained rear end to find lube grey in color w/metal pieces and shavings. Replaced complete gears and put in posi unit and replaced seals and bearings. 1K later discovered leak in front seal of differential. Opened to replace seal and found grey lube and metal parts along with bad seal on driver side axle. Mechanic who did all work doesn't know whats wrong but is setting up to try and take measurements on whole rear end assembly. He suspects that something ( maybe housing ) is bent. He does not suspect that anything was wrong with their work on install.
Can you please help me in understanding this. The car has never been wrecked but am suspecious that work may have been done on it before I purchased it.
I would appreciate any communications.
Thanks,
Kris
Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 1:34 PM

JACK42
The housing will have to be measured to see if it is bent.A newly rebuilt diff will shed some material, but if it is gray, then there is a bearing failure. If theshop is certain it was set up properly(all preloads, gear pattern) then you may want to start with having the housing checked, alot can happen to a car in 47 years
Wednesday, February 4th, 2009 AT 8:23 AM

Sponsored links