2005 Chevy Equinox Whining noise coming from the fron passe

VMCCOWEN
  • 2005 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
  • AWD
When driving there is a whining or whisling noise coming from the front passenger side. When acclerating you hear the noise. When I brake the noise stops. The noise comes and goes. I have replaced my front brakes. Please help!
Tuesday, May 27th, 2008 AT 8:46 AM

SERVICE WRITER
Does the noise change pitch as you vere to the left or right, such as a wheelbearing may do.
-1
Monday, July 7th, 2008 AT 6:24 PM
DDCOTTER
I'm having the same problem. Did you figure out a solution?

I was thinking that it was a belt or the rim. I'm leaning towards a belt.
-2
Sunday, January 11th, 2009 AT 7:13 PM
SERVICE WRITER
IF the problem stops when braking it is not the tensioner.

It might be a poorly done brake job. LAck of properlube, cheap pads etc.

I am wondering there may be a vacuum change when braking and having an effect with the pcv valve. The 2000ish impalas would do that if the pcv was replaced incorrectly, but that is longshot.
-2
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009 AT 6:00 PM
DDCOTTER
For myself, it isn't the act of braking, but decreasing speed to below 10 mph.

It is somehow coorelated to the speed at which the tires spin. If I am on a slippery surface and gun it, making my tires spin faster (but not the car) it gets louder. The sound is situated in the front passenger side of the car.
+2
Tuesday, January 13th, 2009 AT 6:06 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Okay, then I am leaning back towards bearing with yours. IF it changes pitch wheel speed and not RPM, belt tensioner is out. You can verify this by reving the engine in park.

Does the noise change if you vere left or vere right?
+1
Wednesday, January 14th, 2009 AT 5:42 PM
LYNN ANDERSON
I had the same problem. When I was going anywhere from 20 miles to 45 + miles per hour the right front wheel area had a whining noise. When I slowed down or stopped the noise stopped. It would come and go but finally would keep making the noise and became annoying.
I took it to the Chev Dealer and they said it was the "center support bearing". I had them grease it and was told it could last a week or 2 yrs.

Is this something that needs to be replaced and could you tell me where it is located? Also, does a shop have to replace it or can it be done by a home mechanic.
+2
Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 AT 7:06 PM
KDOOM
I am having the same problem. My car only make noise when I am moving and when I veer left to right the sounds changes pitch. Can this be the wheel Hub?
+1
Friday, March 18th, 2016 AT 5:21 PM