2001 Chevy Corvette air conditioning

DOUG PETERS
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CORVETTE
Air conditioning working fine if sitting still, however once moving, does not keep up and air becomes warm.
Dealer wants to remove dash to get to ducts/doors.
Is this reasonable, or could it be vacuum problem?

I am also getting funny sound from under hood when compressor on. This is more recent then the warm air problem.
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 6:28 AM

RACEFAN966
Ok so let me ask a few questions to try to help. The cold to warm air problem sounds like it could be the blend door or blend door motor. Now the sound that you are hearing could be the a/c compressor or a/c clutch making noise. What you can do is get a long screwdriver and put one end of it on the a/c compressor and the other end cup in your hand and put you ear to it and listen to it, this will act like a stethescope. Let me know what you find with the noise and if you would like to fix the other problem yourself then let me know and we will do some testing to see if we figure out what it wrong. You may need a digital multi meter so let me know what you want to do. Thanks.
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 10:29 AM
DOUG PETERS
Will check the noise, however this is more recent and when sitting still air is very cold.
What might be the fix with the blend doors/motor and how to get to it without major dash removal?
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 10:32 AM
RACEFAN966
Sorry a couple more questions so I can look over the wiring and vacuum diagrams for you car to better help you. This is a standard Vette or a Z06? Is your A/C manual or automatic? Get back to me with that so I look over the proper wiring a vacuum diagrams and we can get this fixed. I also must ask how is you mechanical skills? I just like to know so I do a better job of discribing what needs to be done. Thanks again.
Thursday, May 28th, 2009 AT 10:35 AM
DOUG PETERS
Corvette is standard, not Z06.
HVAC controls have auto and manual settings.
AC does not work properly in either.
I have sufficient mechanical skills for most repairs/understanding.

FYI, since I have had the car the passenger side vents have always allowed in outside air, but was never an issue until this year.
Thursday, May 28th, 2009 AT 10:52 AM
RACEFAN966
OK lets see if the car can tell us anything with its self diagnostic system. Here is what you will need to do to see if the A/C system is holding any codes.
1. Turn on ignition. Press RESET button on DIC to see if any warning messages are pressent. Press and hold the OPTIONS button on DIC. While holding the OPTIONS button, press FUEL buttion 4 times in 10 seconds. System will enter automatic display mode followed by all DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes) present for all information systems. To enter manual display mode press any button except the E/M button as this will exit diagnostic mode.
2. Depress and button of DIC (driver information center) to enter HVAC mode of manual diagnostics. Make sure to write down all current and old DTC's. These DTC's will be a B followed by 4 numbers.
3. To clear codes - Turn on ignition and press the RESET button on the DIC and then press and hold OPTIONS and while holding OPTIONS press the FUEL button 4 times within 10 seconds as before then go to HVAC as before and press the RESET button in that mode and this will clear the codes.
Get back to me with any codes and I will look them up and see what it has to tell us. Thanks
Friday, May 29th, 2009 AT 10:37 AM