Below is procedure to fix concern. It bypassed the column lock.
1997-2000 Corvettes Equipped With Automatic Transmission (Excludes Export Vehicles), and all U.S. Manual Transmission (Procedure 1A)
The following service procedure provides instructions for disconnecting the electric column lock (ECL) on vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, and on all U.S. Manual transmissions. DO NOT use this procedure on Canadian vehicles equipped with a manual transmission or on any export vehicles.
J 1859-A Steering Wheel Puller
J 42120 Steering Wheel Puller Legs
J 23653 SIR, Steering Column Lock Plate Compressor
J 42137 Steering Column Lock Plate Compressor Adapter
Important: Disregard all instruction sheets that may be in the harness kit, and follow the instructions provided in this service procedure.
1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's front wheels are pointing straight ahead.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
3. Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable.
4. Disengage the upper latches on the front floor kick-up panel on the passenger side.
5. Lift the kick-up panel's lower edge out of the slots in the relay bracket.
6. Remove the SDM fuse from the IP fuse block located behind the kick-up panel that was just removed.
7. Using a flat-bladed tool, carefully pry the IP courtesy lamp assembly from the driver's side lower closeout panel.
8. Remove the push-on retaining nut from the steering column bracket stud.
9. Release the driver's side lower closeout panel push-in retainers from the IP lower support beam.
10. Insert the IP courtesy lamp assembly up through the opening in the closeout panel.
11. Lower and remove the closeout panel. Release the notch in the right-hand forward edge of the closeout panel from the tab on the accelerator pedal bracket.
12. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) from the driver's yellow 2-way air bag connector located at the base of the steering column and disconnect the connector.
13. Remove the CPA from the passenger yellow 2-way air bag connector, also located at the base of the steering column, and disconnect the connector.
14. Remove the screws attaching the driver's inflator module to the steering wheel (3) and pull the module away from the steering wheel.
15. Disconnect the SIR electrical connector (2) from the backside of the module, the horn wiring harness connector (6) from the steering column, and the ground wire (5) from the steering column. Remove the module.
16. Remove the nut attaching the steering wheel to the column and discard the nut.
17. Using tool J 1859-A, Steering Wheel Puller, and J 42120, Steering Wheel Puller Legs, remove the steering wheel from the column.
18. Using a small flat-bladed screwdriver, release the locking tab from the tilt lever handle and pull the lever straight out.
19. Using a small flat-bladed screwdriver, pry the lower edge of the combination fog lamp/trunk release switch to release the locking tab. Disconnect the electrical connector from the switch. Repeat this step on the inside air temperature grill located to the right side of the steering column.
Important: When removing the driver's side knee bolster trim panel as described below, care must be taken not to damage the console trim plate as the knee bolster trim panel tucks in behind the console trim plate.
20. Remove the driver's side knee bolster trim panel retaining screw, located behind the area where the combination fog lamp/trunk release switch is installed.
Repeat this step on the screw located in the inside air temperature cavity.
21. Remove the driver's side knee bolster trim panel lower retaining screws.
22. Grasp the trim panel at the side edges and firmly pull rearward to release the locking tabs and remove the panel.
23. If equipped, disconnect the electrical connector from the inside air temperature sensor.
24. Remove the two screws that attach the lower steering column cover (3) to the upper (1).
25. Remove the one screw that attaches the upper steering column cover to the column and remove the upper cover.
26. Remove the snap ring and SIR coil from the steering column.
Note: Tool J 23653-SIR MUST be used when removing the retaining ring and lock plate in the next step.
27. Using J 23653-SIR (2), remove the retaining ring and the lock plate (1) and discard both.
28. Align and position the cam orientation plate (1), included in the kit, on the steering column shaft.
Note: When installing the cam orientation plate in the next step, a NEW retaining ring must be used. Do not reuse the original retaining ring.
J 23653-SIR and J 42137 MUST be used when installing the orientation plate and retaining ring in the next step. Failure to use these tools may result in damage to the cam orientation plate, retaining ring or steering column components.
29. Using J 23653-SIR and J 42137 (1), install the cam orientation plate and the new retaining ring included in the recall kit. The cam orientation plate replaces the lock plate removed in the previous step.
30. Position the SIR coil on the steering column and install the snap ring.
313 Disconnect the electrical connector from the ECL, located on the right lower side of the steering column.
32. Attach the NEW relay (1) and harness, included in the kit, to the left IP brace as shown and secure with plastic tie straps.
33. Route the NEW relay harness over the knee bolster.
Important: The connectors on the NEW relay harness are specific and MUST be connected correctly in the next steps. When connected, the new connection becomes J165/P165.
34. Connect one end of the NEW relay harness into the connector on the ECL. Connect the other end on the NEW relay harness into the connector that was disconnected from the ECL in Step 31.
35. Install the upper steering column cover and install the attaching screw.
Tighten the screw to 1.9 N.M (17 lb in).
36. Install the lower steering column and attaching screws.
Tighten the screws to 4 N.M (35 lb in).
37. If equipped, connect the electrical connector to the inside air temperature sensor located on the knee bolster trim panel.
38. Install the knee bolster trim panel and press firmly to engage the locking tabs.
39. Install the lower retaining screws and the screw located behind the combination fog lamp/trunk release switch, and the inside air temperature sensor grill.
Tighten the screws to 1.8 N.M (16 lb in).
40. Connect the electrical connector to the combination fog lamp/trunk release switch and install the assembly into the opening in the IP. Press firmly to secure. Repeat this step on the inside air temperature sensor grill.
41. Slide the tilt lever in the steering column until the locking tab clicks into place.
42. Remove the inflatable restraint module retaining screws from the steering wheel.
43. Position, align, and press the steering wheel onto the steering column shaft.
44. Install a NEW steering wheel set nut on the steering column shaft.
Tighten the nut to 41 N.M (30 lb ft).
45. Install the retaining screws removed from the steering wheel into the backside of the inflatable restraint module.
Tighten the screws to 6 N.M (53 lb in).
46. Position the inflatable restraint module to the steering wheel and connect the SIR electrical connector, the horn wiring harness connector to the steering column, and the ground wire to the column.
47. Install the inflatable restraint module on the steering wheel by pushing on both the right and left sides of the module until the retaining screws snap into place.
48. Connect the passenger yellow 2-way air bag connector located at the base of the steering column, and install the CPA.
49. Connect the driver's yellow 2-way air bag connector located at the base of the steering column and install the CPA.
50. Position the driver's side lower closeout panel below the IP and install the courtesy lamp.
51. Raise the closeout panel to the IP and engage the push-in retainers to the IP lower support beam.
52. Align the right-hand forward edge of the panel to the tab on the accelerator pedal bracket. Push up to secure.
53. Install the push-on retaining nut to the steering column bracket stud.
54. Install the SDM fuse.
55. Position the kick-up panel to the opening in the floor and insert the lower tabs into the slots in the multi-use bracket.
56. Close the panel and latches.
57. Connect the negative battery cable and close the hood.
58. Verify that the ECL and relay are synchronized:
Depending on the position of the relay and the ECL bolt when the key (ignition switch) is first turned to the ON position, you may receive the message Pull Key and Wait 10 Sec.
If you do NOT receive this message, the ECL and relay ARE synchronized. No further action is required.
If you DO receive this warning message, the ECL and relay are NOT synchronized. To synchronize, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and REMOVE THE KEY from the switch (lock cylinder). Wait a MINIMUM of 10 seconds, re-insert the key, and turn to the ON position. From this point on, the ECL and relay should be synchronized.
59. Start the engine and verify that the steering column is unlocked.
Sunday, May 16th, 2010 AT 4:21 PM