1992 Corsica stalls

SLAR69
  • 1992 CHEVROLET CORSICA

1992 Corsica 126000 miles, of my daughters stalls and wont start. Replaced plug wires two weeks ago because #3 was not firing and it fix it. She filled with gas nite before last and next morning would not start. Nesxt day it started but there is no spark going to #3 cylinder. After is sits all nite it will start but die when up to operating temp and won't start again. IS it possible that with #3 not firing the oxygen senser would prevent it from started because of gas vapor building up in exhaust manifold?

Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 2:27 PM

JESSE777

It is very very rare for an oxgen sensor to cause a no start condition. The conditions you mentioned will not cause a no start, but good thinking just the same.

Does the sister plug on that coil have spark? If you follow that wire back to the coil you'll see there are two wires on the coil.

You can swap the coils around to see if the missing spark stays at that cylinder (or cylinders) or follows the coil. If it follows the coil, this indicates the coil is bad.

Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 8:59 PM
SLAR69

I changed fuel filter thinking it was fuel. Now I can't even get it to fire with starting fluid. We should I begin to narrow down electrical system.

Saturday, December 23rd, 2006 AT 2:19 PM
JESSE777

You need to check for spark during the no-start period. Is there spark?

Don't continue to use starting fluid trying to get the engine started. A little bit can be very dangerous, overuse really creates a hazard. The vapors can collect and be ignited by unknown ignition sources (ones your not expecting).

Wednesday, December 27th, 2006 AT 11:11 PM
SLAR69

Have 12 v to ign module but nothing out to crank sensor. Checked coils for resistance and they are within specs. Ign module was checked good at Auto Zone (twice). Checked continuity on lead to crank sensor. Thinking it is computer, I opened it up to see the circuit board was burnt but looks ok. Is computer my final try?

Saturday, December 30th, 2006 AT 12:49 PM
JESSE777

How did you test the crank sensor? Hook your meter to the crank sensor (AC volts) and crank the engine. You should be getting, at the least, 500 mV. Alternatively, engine not cranking, hook your ohm meter to the sensor. An open or shorted condition is a sure sign of failure.

Do you hear the normal array of relays clicking when you first turn the key on? If not there is a good chance the crank sensor has failed. This is a very common failure on your car.

Don't overlook the wiring to the ignition module.

Saturday, December 30th, 2006 AT 1:59 PM