2005 Chevy Cobalt power steering failure

ECANTY1
  • 2005 CHEVROLET COBALT
Has there been a recall with GM/CHEVY regarding the power steering going out on the Cobalt. Mine will go out as I'm driving and I can put it in neutral and shut off ignition and when I restart, the power steering will be back, albeit for how long varies. Started doing that at around 40000-45000 miles. You would think that is a safety hazard, as in my case, my 15yr old daughter was driving when it went out and was almost involved in a head-on as she was turning from a major roadway onto a residential street.
Monday, January 18th, 2010 AT 11:23 AM

ERNEST CLARK
Sorry, there's no TSB's on your specific issue.

Did you check the fluid level? Also, listen for any weird noises coming from the pump or the rack.

All intermittant problems are hard to track down, and I really couldn't give you anything definitive without doing a test drive.

If you find the problem and need instruction on removal/replacement procedures, write back and I'll walk you through it.
Wednesday, March 3rd, 2010 AT 7:29 PM