Disable alarm?

REXDART
  • 2005 CHEVROLET COBALT
Computer problem 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 40000 miles

Hello, I'm wondering how I can disable the anti-theft alarm that activates whenever a key is used to open the car door or trunk. My key fob hardly works and I'd like to be able to use my key to open my own car without attracting the attention of everybody around. Is there a way to set the alarm to a sane mode?
Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 9:51 AM

SATURNTECH9
If that is a factory key less entry then there is no way of disabling it. So does the car auto arm when u leave it meaning you don't have to use the key fob for it to lock or the switch. If that's the case then u need to have someone at the dealer go in there and change it to passive arm meaning your in control of when it activates and doesn't activate. Also you mention that your key fob doesn't work so hot have u ever cleaned it. Get a coin and you can pop it open in there u will find black stuff on the inside of buttons and circuit boards you can clean it with a tissue usually makes them work great. If that doesn't work try replacing the battery next. Let me know how it goes.
-2
Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 10:39 AM
REXDART
Thanks for your input. I guess I should try cleaning the contacts in my remote, but as these things do eventually die, I'd like to be able to use my car without it.
Yes, the alarm does arm itself, even without locking the car. I can just be sitting in it for several minutes, unlocked, and the alarm will sound if I open the door. Is it agreed that only a dealer can change my alarm settings, or does anybody here have a different suggestion?
Friday, January 8th, 2010 AT 1:55 PM
RYOCOMJR
I am having the same exact problem with mine. Close the doors without arming it(locking through key fob) after about 30-60 seconds the alarm goes off, you open the door you get the seies of horn then if you dont start the car (which disengages it) the panic alarm will go off. Its becoming very annoying.
+2
Sunday, January 9th, 2011 AT 2:19 AM
SATURNTECH9
The problem with changing the setting's on the newer car's is that the alarm run's thru the body control module. It take's a advanced scan tool like the tech2 and have the correct software to go into the body control module and change the alarm setting. Most shop's don't have it so the best bet is go to the dealer to have them change it so it only work's when you arm it with the fob. You can call around to different shop's but chance's are they won't be able to do it.
Sunday, January 9th, 2011 AT 2:38 AM
RYOCOMJR
Does the fact that when I bought the car I could unlock and lock the whole car with the key on the drivers side door, nor does my lock/unlock buttons inside the car do not work for some strange reason either.
Thanks in advance
Sunday, January 9th, 2011 AT 3:36 AM
SATURNTECH9
That could be related to your other issue or a different issue in itself.I posted the trouble tree for inop door lock's also make sure the door lock fuse is good.
Monday, January 10th, 2011 AT 3:37 AM