Charging problem 96 Cavalier z24 2.4liter

SHARKTAT
  • 1996 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I'm having a problem with my charging system.I have had the altenator tested and it passed all tests. I have a New battery also. The problem I'm having is the alt. Is not charging the battery.I'm told that on this year the regulator is run by the computer. Is there a way I can test this to find out. I would hate to get a new computer and have it not be the problem.
Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 AT 3:41 PM

The computer controls the alternator field generation to increase and decrease resistances-to raise the voltage or lower it.

See below this is how your charging system is wired.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_cavalier_alty_1.jpg

www. .com
Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 AT 4:28 PM
SHARKTAT
According to the wiring diagram you show my car must be wired wrong because I don't have a wire going from alt to starter solenoid. Its goes direct to battery
+1
Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 AT 6:44 PM
SHARKTAT
According to the wiring diagram you show my car must be wired wrong because the wire on the alternator goes direct to the battery not the starter solenoid
+1
Thursday, November 15th, 2007 AT 10:43 PM