2005 Chevy Cavalier Fuel Gauge problems

RTVANCE
  • 2005 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
2005 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 60k miles

I hope this makes sense, its a little hard to explain! Normally when the car shuts off the gauge goes down to empty, then up to the proper fuel level when starting. The gauge is not going down to empty, it stays wherever it is at - and when the car is started, it raises the needed however much depending on how much fuel is in the car. There is no "stopper" at the "full" indicator, so the needle goes way past the “full” mark. This then gets in the way of the temperature gauge – which then does the same thing, and gets in the way of the speedometer. I hope I've explained this clearly, I'm definately not a car person. Thanks
Friday, January 11th, 2008 AT 12:49 PM

CHERI
I have the exact same problem with my 2005 Chevy Cavalier. The gas guage reads there is more gas in it than there really is, and it turns all the way, blocking the temp guage. To fix this, the entire dash ash to be removed so the flawed guage can be replaced, and this is expensive. A mechanic told be that this is a common problem with the year, make and model of ny car, and that the manufacturer knows of this defect and yet sold them with these problems anyhow. The problem can cause me to run out of gas since there is no accurate reading of how much gas is in the tank. And because it moves over into the rtempurature guage and blocks the temp guage from providing an accurate reading, I'm afraid the car could overheat and the problems with the guagecan cause this. I'm also afraid of running out of gas.
I'd like to to if Chevrolet has a recall for thisproblem and will fix it since it can be dangerous. Does anyone know if Chevy is taking responsibility for this, and if they will fix my guage problem since they knew about it and produced the vehicles anyway? Is there a site I can go to that will help me this, or does Chevy have a department that deals with this issue of neglagence?
+3
Friday, January 14th, 2011 AT 3:43 AM
LEMONADEMIKE
You can send the instrument panel away and have the stepper motors relaced. I had the same problem with my 2005 cavalier and I found a guy in Minnesota via E-Bay that fixes your instrument panel for $60. It works as good as new. It took less than a week from shipment to being delivered to my home.
-2
Wednesday, April 6th, 2011 AT 1:28 AM