2003 Chevy Cavalier `won't start

2003 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

today 9-13-10 was car started fine this morning ran ok got to work then at kunch went to leave to go to the bank and it started bt when I went to back up it died and now won't stat. When I try to start it it wants to start but not kicking over

Monday, September 13th, 2010 AT 7:17 PM

All I can do is give you the diagnostic procedure.

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

4) If all of these things check good, then you would need to do a complete compression test.

Monday, September 13th, 2010 AT 7:20 PM