No voltage at fuel pump

WHOOLY
  • 2003 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
No voltage at the fuel pump. Fuse and fuel pump relay are good. Connected 12volts directly to fuel pump and it pumps. What wires at connections at the wall on the car where the fuel pump wires should be hot when the key is on. The car will run for a few seconds if I spray starting fluid in it. Please Help.
Thursday, July 2nd, 2009 AT 12:41 PM

Hello, the gray wire at the pump relay, carries voltage to the pump, should be hot with the engine cranking. Pink wire comes from fuse, should go hot when you turn on the key. The dark green wire with white tracer is voltage signal from the pcm to the coil side of relay, should be hot, with engine cranking.

Are there any codes? I just wanted to add, you can do some testing at the fuel pump relay in the power distribution center under the hood. The relay may have a wiring diagram on it. If one symbol looks like an open switch, one terminal is for the pink wire, the other gray. The symbol for the other side of relay, looks like a small coil, one of those terminals is for the dark green wire with white tracer. You can unplug the relay, have a helper crank it, use a testlite on the terminals for the pink and dark green with white tracer. Also make sure the relay is good.

Read the guide below on relay testing

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

The wiring diagram for the fuel pump circuit is attached below
+2
Thursday, July 2nd, 2009 AT 1:30 PM
CHRIS44
  • 2003 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I just replaced the fuel pump and the fuel pump relay, but I still don't hear the fuel pump come on, haven't check the tps or the ignition module, don't know how to check module
Wednesday, January 23rd, 2019 AT 6:31 PM (Merged)
Scan for codes and check fuel pressure with a gauge auto parts rent it. Check all fuses under hood
FMA1991
  • 2000 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
2000 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

Hey I was driving the car around fine, not cutting out or anything last nite, it was a little low on gas not to bad. Went to take off this morning and it wouldn't start. The way it sounded when it was turning over, it sounded like it wasn't getting any gas pumped to it so I stuck my head down next to the fuel tank and I couldn't hear the fuel pump turn on. I undid the intake and primed it a little and it fired up but died once it had burned what i'd poured in. All the fuses in the fuse box are good, same goes for the one under the hood that goes to the brain or whatever. Im guessing fuel pump relay but I was wondering if there was anything else that it could be, I don't want to go out and buy another relay and it not fix it, you know what I mean? But thank you if you could help me out here.
First you need a helper to turn teh key andlisten to the tank as you aren't fast enought as it's done priming by the time you got to the tank. No offense here. So have someone turn teh key while you haeve the cap open and listen. Then check your fuel pressure. It may be the pump and not the relay. Best thing to do is see if the pump is getting power it sounds like it's not and the relays can go bad, but not normally.
-1
MARK LEWIS
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
My friends car wouldn't start her brother took alook at it and noticed that if you turn key to run and let the seatbelt chime start beeping it will start. She took it to the shop and they diagnosed a bad fuel pump at 500 dollars. Now I may not be the best mechenic in the world but I know if the fuel pump goes out it goes out all the way out 99% of the time. I checked the relays and found the Ac relay was very hot I suggested she change that and the fuel pump relay as the seem to be tied into the same circuit. Well she still has the same problem I have not had time to trace the circuit yet, but it still seems to me that it is a electrical problem ie. Relay, loose concection, short etc. Do you know of this happening to anyone else and what would you suggest?
E40WATER12
First of all make sure the charge system is correct for current, in the battery, The altnator is work properly.
SERVICE WRITER
Sounds like a short somewhere in the fuel pump circuit if I understand what you said. Although I'm not sure that I do understand.

When you turn the key to the on position you hear the pump.

When you crank it a fuse blows and no longer cranks.

OR you crank the negine over but the fues on the fuel pump circuit blows.