2002 Chevy Cavalier Gauges

GARY SIKORSKI
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

2002 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 68000 miles

None of the gauges work on the instrument panel. Daughter had car jumped and now the gauges don, t work. I have checked all the fuses. Took the alternator out and had it checked. Also replaced the battery and still do not work. Everything else works, the lights on dash the turn signals. What else could I check before I take it to a shop and spend mega bucks.

Monday, February 11th, 2008 AT 6:53 AM

OSUJONATHAN

I think I have the same problem. I've got a 2003 Cavalier. I had to disconnect the negative battery terminal one day as I was trying to work on the horn. After I connected the cable, all the gauges stopped working and a bunch of dash lights remained on. I took it to the dealer and they said I need a new instrument cluster. It was too expensive to replace and I also thought there is an easier fix. What did you end up doing? Thanks.

+2
Thursday, April 3rd, 2008 AT 8:18 AM
JASONSILVER

I have the same problem-- I boosted the car yesterday and the gauges stopped working.

What can I do?

+1
Wednesday, August 6th, 2008 AT 7:23 AM
ARROWBOY

I've been looking on here to see if there is A fix.
If not, GM should recall this problem.

-2
Monday, February 16th, 2009 AT 10:27 PM
JASONSILVER

I should have come back and posted my fix, sorry.

Simply disconnect the battery connectors, and reconnect them again.

Jason

+1
Tuesday, February 17th, 2009 AT 6:44 AM
TFER1226

I have a 2002 Cavalier and the instrument cluster did not work after replacing the battery. After reading your response, I was thinking that it would not do any good since I just technically did that by replacing the battery. I was shocked when that was all it was. Seems the unit that controls the cluster has a power-on reset problem. Thanks for the help. I get the feeling the dealer would have charged me at least $100 for the fix and still not fix the real issue with the cluster.

-1
Wednesday, March 25th, 2009 AT 11:21 AM
DMWYLIEJR

Had a similar problem on our 2004 Cavalier.
Tried everything all the posts all over the web tried.
Disconnect the battery for 15 mins, while disconnected short the positive and
negative battery leads together (NOT THE BATTERY!),
and pulling the fuses (more on this in a sec)

Here is how I fixed it !

1. Started the car.
Gauges weren't working and nearly all the Instrument lights were on.

2. On the side of the dash is the interior fuse panel l located the 10AMP, little fuse for the
instrument "cluster".

3. Pulled the fuse. And the instrument lights went out. Just like you would expect.

4. Now here I loose track a bit, but.

I believe I turned off the car, and then put the fuse back in place.
I may have had the car running so if off doesn't work then replace the fuse with the car running.

5. Heard some noises like the fuel pump and then restarted the car. Viola - fixed!

Sunday, April 12th, 2009 AT 10:40 AM
SOTTIS

My gauges quit working when I disconnected the battery briefly. I got them to work again by pulling the 10A fuse in the instrument panel fuse box while the car was off and then replacing it.

Wednesday, May 20th, 2009 AT 7:34 PM
BRUNOFHL

After battery change, instrument panel guages no longer work.

Tried disconnecting and reconnecting battery and then pulling and putting back in the instrument panel fuse.

Gauges still don't work.

Any other ideas?

+1
Saturday, October 9th, 2010 AT 10:49 AM
BASE736

This seems to be an ancient thread, but I ran across it after I had a similar problem and have solved it, so thought I'd post a reply. I knocked out my instrument cluster when replacing the battery, and pulling the battery leads, holding them together, and whatever didn't work. Pulling and reinstalling the obvious "CLUSTER" fuse didn't help either. Haynes notes two fuses going into the instrument cluster microprocessor -- "CLUSTER" and "CLS/PCM". The latter doesn't seem to exist on my car, BUT I've got a "BCM/CLU".

Long story short. Turned the ignition to "run", pulled the BCM/CLU fuse, put it back in, and everything's alive. Looks like this gives the instrument cluster microprocessor the clean start it so desperately craves.

+1
Friday, May 10th, 2013 AT 5:01 PM
KSCULLIN

I had already tried everything else listed (checking fuses, disconnecting battery, etc); got the the pulling the fuses with the ignition ON steps and tried that. I had to pull both the "BCM/CLU" and "Cluster" fuses and replace them with the ignition still ON to get it to work. BTW, I also got a jump from a dead battery.

This may be significant - I pulled the BCM/CLU fuse first, then the Cluster fuse and replaced them in FIFO order (BCM/CLU fuse first, then the Cluster fuse).

Thanks much for the help!

+3
Saturday, June 1st, 2013 AT 11:48 AM
SYLVER
  • 2003 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
  • MERGED

The gauges on the instrument cluster on my car are not working. The only things on it that work are the warning lights, turn signals and the odometer. None of the gauges work. Should I replace the instrument cluster? Are there any other solutions to this problem?

Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 12:40 PM
  • MERGED

The cluster may be bad so have it checked to see if gauges are getting power from sender. If you replace it, it has to be programmed to your car as it is not just a direct replacement. They can be rebuilt for a cheaper alternative however.

Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 12:40 PM
SYLVER
  • MERGED

How do you program the instrument cluster to my car?

Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 12:40 PM
  • MERGED

A mechanic has to do it with a professional grade scanner.

Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 12:40 PM
JASONSILVER
  • 2003 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
  • MERGED

Interior problem
2003 Chevy Cavalier

What can I do?

+1
Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 12:40 PM
RHALL77
  • MERGED

Did you try to disconnect the battery and see if they would come back on. Otherwise you may have to have the vehicle scanned to see if there is communication with the IP cluster.

Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 12:40 PM
JASONSILVER
  • MERGED

So while the engine is running, try to disconnect the battery and reconnect it to see if this helps?

Thanks,
Jason

Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 12:40 PM
RHALL77
  • MERGED

NO, engine off key off nothing on

-1
Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 12:40 PM
MHCADILLAC
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
  • MERGED

I replaced the headlight switch because it was bad. After replacement, headlights work fine but now none of the gauges work and all the indicator lights are out. I've tries the fuses and disconnecting the battery. Nothing. What could the problem be? Maybe a grounding issue? If so where is the ground for the cluster.

Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 12:40 PM
ASEMASTER6371
  • MERGED

Look around the headlight switch to see if you disturbed any connectors. If they worked prior to the repair, then they should work after the repair.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Tuesday, January 17th, 2017 AT 12:40 PM