2002 Chevy Cavalier Engine Vibration Noise Only During Acce

MITCBOER
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I have a 2002 Chevy Cavalier Coupe with the 2.2L SFI motor. Only during acceleration, there is a loud rattling, vibration noise coming from somewhere in the engine/dash area. I have also noticed that when I am on the highway or there are high winds, I can hear a rattling noise coming from the same area. It almost sounds like a bolt rattling around in the defrost vent. Don't know if the two are related? But the engine noise during harder acceleration, about 3000-3500 rpms and above, is the bigger issue, as I don't want to be hurting the motor. Thanks
Saturday, February 14th, 2009 AT 8:16 PM

Hi:
Have you checked the heat shields on the exhaust?
Sunday, February 15th, 2009 AT 2:49 PM
MITCBOER
Hi, one of my first instincts too was the exhaust. But there arn't any heat shields by the exhaust manifold or really anywhere in the engine bay. There might be one farther under the car, but I don't think that could be it do you? Thanks for your help
Monday, February 16th, 2009 AT 12:52 PM
Hi:
I would recommend checking it anyway. Let me know what you find.

Monday, February 16th, 2009 AT 1:23 PM
MITCBOER
Hi, I got under the car and inspected everything pretty well. I checked every heat shield and they all seemed firmly in place.

I have also read something about a timing issue. Do you think this could be the problem?

Also, there was something about a engine mount. But that seems like a pretty severe problem that I would have noticed.

Thanks for your ideas.
Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 1:42 PM
A mount has a rubber cushion that can go bad allowing metal to metal contact; thus you feel drive line vibration throughout the car. That would be my guess. Here is a test you can try.

Put the park brake on, open the hood, and start the engine. Next, have a helper put his foot securely on the brake and put it in drive and give it a little gas. Watch to see if the engine lifts excessively, More than an 3/4 inch is excessive. Also try it in reverse. If the engine seems to lift more than I mentioned, check the mount responsible for that area.

Let me know what you find. Also, don't stand in front of the car. You never know if the helper is mad at you. (LOL)

Saturday, February 21st, 2009 AT 2:12 PM
MITCBOER
Hi, I did the test and the engine movement wasnt excessive to me. I would say it didnt move more than 1/2 inch at the most.

Any other ideas? Thanks again.
Monday, February 23rd, 2009 AT 8:21 AM
Hi:
Without being there to actually check it, the only thing I can think of is even though the mounts are not broken, I question the rubber mounts on them.
-1
Monday, February 23rd, 2009 AT 9:13 AM