2002 Chevy Cavalier

BABYGIRL79
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Air Conditioning problem
2002 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

My '02 cavalier is having ac issues. When I run the ac, although the air is cold, the car runs like crap. Whether I am driving or at a stop the rpm's idle up and down ( a short amount) very rapidly. When I try to hit the gas after being stopped the car wants to die. It also lunges when I am sitting at a stop in drive. There is a clicking noise every few seconds when I run it as well. It does need a tune up but I am not sure that will solve the issue. I have put a lot of money into it lately and can't afford to guess what the problem is. Help please!
Saturday, July 3rd, 2010 AT 10:56 PM

NOFEAR081180
Cars can drop horsepower due to normal wear and tear. Your AC compressor is bogging your engine down because it's not putting out as much power as it used to. This happens even more with 4 cylinder engines. When the AC is on, it puts more friction on the serpentine belt. The more pulleys putting friction on the belt, the harder the engine has to work.
-1
Monday, July 5th, 2010 AT 11:54 AM

Related Engine Idle Erratic Content