2001 Chevy Cavalier

SYDNEYGRAYSON
  • 2001 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Brakes problem
2001 Chevy Cavalier Front Wheel Drive Automatic

My "ABS" and "track off" light have been coming on and off the last month or so. The only problem with my brakes that i've noticed is that my ABS will turn on even when it shouldn't. As in, its not a braking situation that would call for ABS - i'm slowing braking while coming to a stop sign and theres no gravel or ice, nothing that the tires could slip on. This has only happen a couple of times so I havent thought much of it. Otherwise my brakes are fine. However, I was recently told that my brakes pads needed to be replaced even though they are less than 6 months old. I haven't put that many miles on it in the six months (3-5k), is that normal for brake pads to wear on that fast? I'm concerned that the ABS thing and the break pad issue could be related, any thoughts?
thanks!
Friday, September 11th, 2009 AT 9:04 PM

MMPRINCE4000
You will have to read the ABS codes with a chassis scanner. ABS and traction codes are "C" chassis codes. Most autoparts stores only read "P" powertrain codes.

You are right, if your pads are gone in 5,000 miles, they are either very cheap pads or installed wrong.

Many ABS codes are simply a wheel sensor that ha worked loose, but a chassis scanner will tell you.
Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 AT 10:29 AM