2000 Chevy Cavalier Starting problems.

CRUNCHER1169
  • 2000 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
This 2000 Cavailier won't start with the key. When you turn the key to start the car nothing happens. I changed the ignition switch but that didn't help. I am about to change the nutral safty switch but if that doesn't fix it, What else could it be?
Saturday, October 31st, 2009 AT 4:50 PM

Have you checked the starter relay and the starter itself?
Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009 AT 8:21 AM
CRUNCHER1169
The starter is good but I did find something of intrest. On the radiator support there is a realay with four wires going to it and from it to the starter. The colors of the wires are, 2-red 1-purple 1-black. If you jump one of the red wires to the purple on the same side of the plug the car will start normally. I tried 2 new relays but changing the realays didn't do anything! Also when the part store cross refferenced the realays they came up with a five prong realay and mine only has four. I have already changed the ingition switch the neutral safty switch and now that realy twice and still nothing unless I disconect that realy on the radaitor support and jump the red and purple wires then it will start fine run fine and shutoff fine just like normal? Do you have any idea what is going on with this car? IF someone can find the answer I will gladly give them a nice donation for their help! I was a mechanic tech back in the 70's and 80's and was even certified in GM and Ford but this one has thrown me for a loop! PLEASE HELP before I pull my hair out! Thank you so much and have a really great day. Sincerely, crazed oldtimer.
-1
Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009 AT 9:09 AM