2000 Chevy Cavalier ignition

LEANWAR
  • 2000 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
My 2000 Chevy Cavalier has a lot of miles but has been taken care of relativly well. Recently if I start the car then shut it off after only driving less than five minutes and try to start it again the 50 amp ignition fuse pops. Everything else electrical works fine headlamps overhead light etc. But anything connected to the fuse radio cluster lamps and stater do not what could be causing this?
Friday, October 3rd, 2008 AT 6:55 PM

JACK42
That could be a ton of different things. Does it pop the fuse when you first turn the key on, or when you try to crank the engine? If it does it cranking, carefully disconnect the purple wire off the starter and try cranking it. This isolates the starting circuit. If it doesnt pop after that, there is a short in the circuit between the ignition switch and the starter, which goes through the neutral safety switch.
Saturday, October 4th, 2008 AT 8:23 AM