2000 Chevy Cavalier 2000 Cavalier wont fire

CINCINNATIJG26
  • 2000 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
2000 Chevy Cavalier Automatic 142000 miles

I cannot get my cavalier to start. I changed all the spark plugs and wires, it will try to start and if you spray starting fluid into the engine it will kick over but it will not stay running unless you spray starting fluid. What is the issue and what can I do to fix it?

Also I did run a diagnostic on it and it threw 2 codes. P0303 and P0420
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 10:43 AM

RACEFAN966
Ok let me ask a couple of questions here to try to better help you. If I understand you right if you spray fluid in the engine it starts and will run as long as you do this. So my question is have you checked the fuel pressure? Do you hear the fuel pump coming on? If not then this should be done and I would say you will probably need to replace the fuel pump and replace the fuel filter at the same time. Then clear the codes and see if any of them come back. Let me know what you find and what you have or haven't done. Thanks
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 11:07 AM
CINCINNATIJG26
How do I check the pressure. Also I cannot find the fuel filter and my manual doesnt show it either.
Wednesday, May 27th, 2009 AT 11:10 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok I have included a pic of the fuel filter it should be under the car either near the right (passanger) rear tire or near the fuel tank. Now as for the fuel pressure you first off need a fuel pressure guage that can read near 100 psi. Then you will need to look under the hood on the fuel rail and look for a shrader valve (looks like a tire valve) and that is where you hook up the guage and then turn the key on and see if there is fuel pressure then crank it and check for fuel pressure again. I don't know if I can find a pic of how that is done but I will try.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_507487_1.jpg

Thursday, May 28th, 2009 AT 10:26 AM