CHEVY STARTING PROBLEM

1999 Chevrolet Cavalier

slimpicnns

February, 17, 2010 AT 3:25 PM

1999 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 151000 miles

My car starts great when it is cold. Also it starts right up when it is normal running condition. Say I turn it off and go in gasoline station, get gas, it will start right up. If I drive it and stop, turn it off, leave it for 20-30 minutes, it is hard to crank. It will crank, but I usually have to try a few times and give it gas. I can hear the fuel pump running and the motor runs great. I have put new wires and plugs and new fuel filter on it. This is the only problem I have. I have been told that I need a new fuel pump, but would hate to replace if this is not the problem, as they are expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

February, 17, 2010 AT 3:57 PM

Welcome to the forum. With an extended crank, have helper crank, while you visually check for spark at the plugs. If that checks out, use a gage and check fuel pressure. Some of the national brand autostores used to loan out a fuel pressure gage, if you don't have one. You have to test when the problem is ongoing. Intermittent problems can be hard to track.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang