1999 Chevy Cavalier Instrument Cluster Question

JEZZEBELLE
  • 1999 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Hi, We have a '99 Cavalier. A little over 5 years ago, the dealer had to replace the instrument cluster because the speedometer stopped operating. Again, the speedometer has stopped working. We took out the speed sensor, cleaned it, and it still didn't work. We replaced it with a new speed sensor and it still didn't work. We've checked all the connections and still nothing. I have a replacement cluster on hold at a salvage yard, but here is my question. My instrument cluster has a digital mileage readout. I can only locate one with a flip dial mileage readout. Can it be successfully swapped? I don't care about the mileage or keeping track of the mileage, as I intend to keep the car until it's dead. My main concern is having a speedometer that functions correctly, since I drive 40+ miles to work each way, and the risk of getting a speeding ticket isn't appealing to me.
Thursday, April 1st, 2010 AT 9:21 AM

CHUCKCXR
It sounds like what you have is a lemon. Dealers hate to hear that word, but the truth of the matter is they exist with every type of car out there. Sometimes you just get a car that doesn't want to work right and just had bad luck at the factory when they put it together. There is probalby something wired wrong or crossed somewhere that is causing your cluster to short out and malfunction. I dont know what state you live in, but in CA there are specific "lemon laws" to protect consumers. Bascially it entitles you to get a completely new vehichle if the dealer cant fix it after a certain amount of time/tries. Check to see what your state laws are for such.

Also, a good idea in the meantime is just match your driving speed to the cars around you. At least then you cant be easily singled out. But it is illegal to drive wihout a functioning speedometer.

Also you would need a complete conversion kit to swap from digital to analog speedometer, its a totally different wiring setup. Best bet would be to look on ebay, or if that fails search yahoo. But I know I've seen a few listed on ebay in the last few months.

Goodluck!
Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 2:29 AM