1999 Chevy Cavalier flickering lights

TOWPATHRAT
  • 1999 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Hello-my problem is flickering lights. This is most noticable in the headlights but all lights dim and brighten about twice per second at the same frequency. The alternator was replaced 1 year ago, the battery replaced this week. My mechanic has checked the alternator twice and it shows to be working properly. My mechanic also checked all the gound wires and said they are all fine. I had my charging system checked by Auto-Zone and they also said it was fine. My car doesn't do this for my mechanic as you might imagine. This problem so far seems to happen only when the engine is running. All accessories work as they should. Please help me fix this problem and regain my sanity. This car was purchased new and has had the best of care and I'd like to drive it for many years to come.
Sunday, February 10th, 2008 AT 1:38 AM

Fire the mechanic and quit going to Autozone-Doesn't these people know the alternator output voltage is controlled by the computer built in voltage regulator-Have them check it out and comeback for more help if needed-BTW thanks for the donation.

Oh lord! What's going on out there with this industry?
Sunday, February 10th, 2008 AT 2:03 AM
From: towpathrat
To: rasmataz
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:01 pm
Subject: 99 Cavalier flickering lights
Hello-thanks for your quick reply to my question. When the charging system was tested at Autozone the employee told me the test would show if the voltage regulator was malfunctioning. The test involved connections at both battery terminals as well as a connection at the alternator. Is this the proper way to test the voltage regulator or is there another specific test that needs to be done? Thanks-Towpathrat

I don't know what they're using as test machine you sounded as though its just a voltmeter. Its okay if its a VAT20/40 dunno.

There's still something wrong within -double check all connections-make sure the computer is properly grounded also the ground cable to the engine/bracket

If they rule it out and its not coming from the alternator-have someone check out the entire charging circuit-see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_cav_alty_circuit_1.jpg

+1
Sunday, February 10th, 2008 AT 10:47 PM