1998 Chevy Cavalier Starting problems.

ALSTON
  • 1998 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
1998 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 82,000 miles

I am having problems getting my car to start right away. My battery and altinature is fine, they are new and have been tested.
My problems is when I turn the key it just makes a clicking sound. When this problem first started it would take 2 turns to get it started, one turn for the click and then on the second turn of the key it would start right up. Now it takes 2 or 3 turns before it starts. There is one more problem now, when the engine starts to turn over it needs a little more power it seems. It sometimes turns right over on the 3rd turn of the key or sounds like the battery is dead. I know the battery is not dead.
It runs fine when I drive but when I turn the car off and go to turn it right back on the same problems start all over again.
Can you help me or give me some advice on what to do to check it at home before going to the garage to get it checked?
Thank You.
Thursday, March 27th, 2008 AT 2:39 PM

ALSTON
Thursday, March 27th, 2008 AT 2:40 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
Replace your starter motor. When you get that click its like a warning. Eventually if you keep starting it like that you will burn up the battery from such a big draw. The starter motor is fairly easy to replace on this car. Let us know how you make out
Thursday, March 27th, 2008 AT 3:42 PM