1998 Chevy Cavalier Heating Problem

I 4 CHEVY
  • 1998 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I own a 1998 Chevy Cavalier. My fan went down to one speed and then quit. I took out the blower motor and gave it some power and it worked. I was told the resister was bad so I replaced the resistor. After replacing the resistor I got heat and air out of my duct for a day. Then the blower motor quit with no air coming out of my duct. Before it quit all the fan speeds were working and all air positions were working as well and I did have heat. Don't know what is wrong relay, switches etc. I am wondering what is or very well could be wrong. If it is relay were is it and how do I test it or switches or anything else to see if they are bad? Any help would be great.
Saturday, November 29th, 2008 AT 12:44 PM

Check the blower fuse 30amp if okay-test the blower motor relay in the engine compartment fuse/relay center
Saturday, November 29th, 2008 AT 1:28 PM
I 4 CHEVY
Thank you. How do you test relay
Saturday, November 29th, 2008 AT 1:49 PM
By using an ohmmeter to check the coil and switch side of the relay unable to do it-swap or replace the relay
Saturday, November 29th, 2008 AT 1:52 PM
I 4 CHEVY
I replaced the relay and I still get nothing.
Saturday, November 29th, 2008 AT 3:39 PM
Check the AC/Heater control switch input power-not it could be coming from the HVAC control module-
Saturday, November 29th, 2008 AT 3:43 PM
I 4 CHEVY
The control switch is the one on the front of the dash used to contorl the speed and the other the direction of air flow correct? Just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same one.
+1
Saturday, November 29th, 2008 AT 5:18 PM
Were singing on the same sheet of music-test it out
Saturday, November 29th, 2008 AT 5:20 PM
I 4 CHEVY
How to test control switch? What readings should I be looking for on the meter?
Saturday, November 29th, 2008 AT 5:40 PM
I 4 CHEVY
Does anyone know how to test the AC/ Heater control switch input power and what readings I should be looking for on the meter?
Sunday, November 30th, 2008 AT 10:11 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Test the blower switch with a test light.
Connect test light between blower switch connector terminal "E" (Black wire) and battery voltage. If test light illuminates, blower switch needs replaced. If test light does not illuminate, there is probably faulty wiring that needs to be traced with the test light.
Sunday, November 30th, 2008 AT 10:32 AM
I 4 CHEVY
Thank you. Did you happen to see my origional question? If so, what else do you think could be the problem?
Sunday, November 30th, 2008 AT 10:38 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Yes, I did read it.
I did not mean to interrupt between you and Rasmataz, as he is a great tech. I simply stepped in because I am sure he is busy and could not get back to you yet.

Between what you two have already tested out and talked about, I would assume it has to lie somewhere in the switch or in the wiring.

I hope this helps.

Just post results of light test and either I or Rasmataz will follow up.
Sunday, November 30th, 2008 AT 10:43 AM
I 4 CHEVY
I don't mind you stepping in at all. I need all the help I can get. It is about to get cold and snowy here so I need some heat not so much for me but so I can see out my windows. It seems like all the stuff I try just doesn't fix it. I will test the switch and let both of you know what I come up with. Again thank you for your help.
Sunday, November 30th, 2008 AT 10:56 AM