1998 Chevy Cavalier Clutch pedal is mushy, can't shift into

ISLANDWORKER
  • 1998 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
On the highway the other day I depressed the clutch and it didn't come back up. When I got the car home I found that I had no clutch fluid. Thinking that the low fluid just let air into the lines I refilled it and bed the system. Still nothing. I then determined the master cylinder was bad so I replaced that and bled the system again. This time when I tried it I get pressure but only while the engine is off. If I start the car and try the clutch looses all its pressure and I still can't shift. I know the slave is internal and a lot of work to replace so before I try and tackle that is there anything else I should try? Also, the clutch has never shown any signs of wear before. Until now it's been great. Thank for your help.
Friday, December 19th, 2008 AT 9:54 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

If you have not pedal pressure due to air in the line there is only 3 items that control the clutch the master cylinder the fluid line and the slave, if replacing the master has not solved your problem, I would be looking at the slave as the line would normally never give problems and a leak at a union would be very visible.

Friday, December 19th, 2008 AT 11:30 PM