1998 Cavalier brake problem

ORTICA
  • 1998 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
My brakes dont work all the time. Just before my car comes to a stop. For example, when I am parking. As I slow down I push the brake pedal and suddenly my brakes stop working and in the pedal it feels like there is someting rolling around. You can hear what sounds like metal clunking and spinninng. Its so loud that wehn I pull into a parking spot. People will look at me because they can hear the grinding/spinning as I try to stop the car. If I pump the brakes or slam them really hard all of a sudden it feels like the abs kicks in and the car stops.
Thursday, December 21st, 2006 AT 5:05 PM

BOOTDOG
By what you're saying, it sounds to me that the pad is completely worn away and now all you have is metal grinding into metal. Get your brakes checked ASAP! If thats the case you have worn into the rotors which also will need to be replaced, and if you drive it that way too long you'll eventually push the piston out of the caliper and you'll need new calipers too. My advice is to get the brakes checked before you drive it. Good luck
Thursday, December 21st, 2006 AT 7:25 PM
ORTICA
I dont think its the brake pads. I had another car where the pads were worn awya and you could hear the metal on metal but thats not what this is. It;s hard to describe. But most of the time the brakes work. Its only when I back out of my driveway. And when I am parking that the brakes dont work. Its like something is blocking the pedal. The pedal becoems very hard to push which is why I have to then pump the brakes really really hard and then they work. Hope that makes sense. It literally sounds like something is spinning. And I have to wait for the spinning to stop and then the brakes work.
Thursday, December 21st, 2006 AT 9:47 PM
BOOTDOG
Ok, if the pedal gets hard, then your problem is gonna lie in the brake booster. The booster. The booster is what give you power brakes. Sounds to me that the booster is failing.
Friday, December 22nd, 2006 AT 6:04 AM
COURTZILLA
I also have a 1998 Cavalier coup, 115,000 miles. When I brake at slow speeds (usually in 2nd gear or lower) I feel and hear a clicking sound in the brakes, almost like something is spinning or getting caught. I've also noticed that when this happens at night my headlights flicker slightly. I've had the brakes completely replaced about 5,000 miles ago; the mechanic (granted, it was at Monro Muffler) didn't see anything. I'd love to hold on to this car for as long as possible, but this noise makes me nervous. Did you have any success in your repair?
Thursday, February 8th, 2007 AT 3:03 PM