1997 Chevy Cavalier instrument cluster gauge

DAVIDFARR3000
  • 1997 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I am having a problem with my instrument cluster, I had to remove the cluster to replace some bulbs, but instead of just unscrewing the whole unit, I took the needles off and removed that panel, now my speedometer gauge dont work or sometimes it does but fluctuates rapidly, when it dont work, I can tap on the dash and it will then fluctuate more, what should I do? Also if I get a whole new unit how would I get my milage right again? Thanks and please help me anyway you can
Monday, July 13th, 2009 AT 11:16 AM

BUDDYCRAIGG
Ok, you messed up the speedo when you pulled and pushed on the shaft.
There's no question about that.
But what's done is done.

I see you have a 1997.
Call you DMV and explain your situation.
(I would have tried to look up the info for you, but I dont know where you live)

in some cases you have to attach a sticker to the door pillar saying what the mileage was when you replaced the odometer, and what the replacement (used) odometer had on it.

Some state, after the car is 10 years old, they dont care what the odometer says.
Thursday, July 16th, 2009 AT 11:59 PM
DAVIDFARR3000
Ok, what do you mean by pulling and pushing on the shaft? It seems to be working now, I think it was malfuctioning due to me havinf some of the wrong wires connected on my new radio I put in, after I got wiring right, it was working fine, went through a speed test thing on a road and it was reading pretty accurate, what would you suggest me to do?
Friday, July 17th, 2009 AT 2:04 AM
BUDDYCRAIGG
By your words, it sounded like you pulled the needle off of the shaft, and then you pushed it back on. The air magnet motors that work those gauges dont like to have that done to them.

So if your speedo is now working again, then count your blessings.

If everything is working as it should, then you don't have a problem anymore.
Leave it alone.
As dad always said, "if it aint broke, don't fix it."
Friday, July 17th, 2009 AT 2:48 AM
DAVIDFARR3000
So if my gauge stops working again, what do you suggest I do? As far as do I need a new cluster if this happens or what are the procedures of recalculating the mileage?
Friday, July 17th, 2009 AT 2:15 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
Like I said, check with the DMV about the mileage.
But probably it will be pretty simple.

You get a used cluster from a junkyard.
You get some form that you have to fill out from the DMV, you put down the mileage of the bad cluster, and you put down the mileage of the used cluster, and then you attach that to the title.
Friday, July 17th, 2009 AT 4:27 PM