1997 Chevy Cavalier car dieing

DREAMER37
  • 1997 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
First of the year had sugar put in gas tank, cost me over 2k to take care of that problem at reputable car repair shop.

in the last 6-8 weeks, every other week and no joke always close to my payday. The car will just simply die. It has done it 2 blocks from my home during a rain storm, while exiting a fast food location, and just in the driveway. The car will die. And when you hit the key you get no sound at all plus no dash lights. Before asking there is no clicking sound either, there is simply nothing. But, I do have headlights, and 4 way flashers, I think turn signals, but the wipers dont work.
The first time this happend the alternator was bad and was replaced with a tested but good condition used alternator. Week or so later it died while driving in rain to work, this time. The next day, a connecting wire to the starter was a bit loose, so we tightened it, but still wouldnt start. Removed battery to have it load tested, when battery was replaced car started, but battery tested fine. One other time a wire to the battery terminal was loose and this fixed it and it started. But this time, today, it died while leaving fast food place and has the same issues as earlier, no sound no dash lights nothing when turning the key. Fuses have all been checked and are fine. Im at my wits end! Please help
Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 5:52 PM

DREAMER37
Removed a fusible link and direct wired, still because of not much spark from the battery, when shorting across terminal, car was jumped still nothing from turning key in the ignition. But, after having key on jumper cables in place and shorting across the starter the car started, and has restarted several times since, but im not content the problem has been resolved. Still need help!
Update: there is power to the wire running from the battery to the under hood fuse/relay box but no power to fuses within the under hood fuse/relay box.
Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 7:41 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi dreamer37,

Thank you for the donation.

When problem occurs, if battery voltage is not present at the Ignition Fuse ( 50A) in underhood fuse box, either the connection from battery is bad or the fuse box ia faulty internally.
Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 3:56 PM

Related Engine Stall While Driving Content