1996 Chevy Cavalier Ignition switch will not turn with key

ANJAYLA
  • 1996 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Yesterday began to start my car. I put the key in like normal all the lights and normal noises came on like normal.

However, there was one problem the key wouldnt turn in the ignition so I got my spare and tried it and that key wouldnt turn either. Then in the process of turning wheel to try to turn the key the wheel locked. I know prior to this ABS was lighting up and youj can hardly press the brake down as it now, but I dont know if that has anything to ldo with the ignition.

Also I went under the hood and tried to hot start it and the engine turned over but didnt start.

Im thinking the problem is the ignition cylinder or something similiar but if it was te starter or selinoid the car wouldnt even crank under the hood when hotcranking engine.

angela
Sunday, June 15th, 2008 AT 8:18 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

Have you had any problems prior to this when starting the car?

Well, it sounds like to me that it is either the Lock Cylinder or the Ignition switch.
Monday, June 16th, 2008 AT 3:35 PM