1991 Chevy Cavalier E-brake

KGERVERS
  • 1991 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Brakes problem
1991 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 164k miles

I have a 3 speed automatic 1991 chevy cavalier. When I bought the car the E-brake worked but only when it wanted to. One day I had just parked and pulled up my E-brake to see if it worked and it had tension but as soon as I pulled it up I heard a ping sort of noise. So I put it up on a lift at school and the cable was snapped completely in half. It had snapped at a piece in the center that was about an inch in a half long. MY question is what is this piece and if I buy a new E-Brake will this peice come with it or will I have to buy that peice also.
Sunday, March 2nd, 2008 AT 4:05 PM

ZAMFIRIUS
If the cable was two pieces, then the service people should ask you whether you want the front half or the back. If it was one piece, then it should come with it.

I think the reason for the cable breaking is that the line was seized. Lubricate the rear brakes thoroughly and the cable housing(s) when you install a new one. Also lube the E-brake handle just because.
Tuesday, April 22nd, 2008 AT 9:04 PM