1991 Chevy Cavalier 1991 Chevy Cavalier starting problems

IFFN7
  • 1991 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
1991 Chevy Cavalier 6 cyl 115000 miles

My 1991 Cavalier won't turnover when attempting to start. It sounds like it REALLY wants to, but just won't do it. The problem started out about a week ago, and it would have this problem, and then turn over. Progressively would take two, then three, then four tries to finally start. Now it doesn't at all. I don't know if this is related, but the car's oil gauge was dipping to nothing when stopped at a light after the engine was warmed up- but that problem fixed "on it's own" about a month and a half ago. Also, the car has been idling somewhat on the high side lately. I'm definately below novice level when it comes to car knowledge, and am too broke to take it to a mechanic right now, and I need a car to get a new job. I'm DESPERATE for any help/advice. GREATLY appreciated! By the way, the battery is fine and the starter sounds good. It seems like maybe a problem with the fuel pump? I don't know, I just need help.
Wednesday, November 26th, 2008 AT 4:06 AM

MASTERTECHTIM
Sounds like a fuel issue. Try spraying starter fluid into intake and see if it will start. Usually starter fluid will give just enough to get it running and then a weak fuel pump will keep it running. You can also have someone crank the engine over while you hit the gas tank with a hammer to shock the fuel pump. Dont smash it, just enough to jarr it
Wednesday, November 26th, 2008 AT 5:09 AM