1990 Chevy Cavalier My car won't start

BMCKENZIE40
  • 1990 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I have a Cavalier that will turn over fine but it just won't start. At first I thought it was just the ignition coil, but I discovered that there are three of them and I don't think that all 3 would go at the same time. I am thinking that it is the module, but I was wondering if there are any other possibilities that I could try before I spend the $300 on the part.
Friday, January 16th, 2009 AT 11:13 AM

BUDDYCRAIGG
Have you verified that you do or do not have spark?
Friday, January 16th, 2009 AT 11:18 AM
BMCKENZIE40
Yes, I checked that. The motor turns over fine, but there is no spark. It was weird because it was running fine. I came home, and shut the car off, and it hasn't started since.
Friday, January 16th, 2009 AT 11:26 AM
Hi, have you done any testing, did you check for spark at the plugs? Have you checked for codes? You should be able to check for codes, by using a jumper between the A&B terminals of the data link connector. Then turn the key till the dash lites come on, no further. The mil will start flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes.
Friday, January 16th, 2009 AT 11:27 AM
BMCKENZIE40
I don't have a code reader. When you say use a jumper, do you mean I could just use a 12V test light between the A&B terminals
Friday, January 16th, 2009 AT 11:33 AM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_aldl_3.jpg

No, you can use a short piece of jumper wire, a paper clip might even work.

I gonna let Buddy talk to you, he was here first, I didn't see him when I first posted.
Friday, January 16th, 2009 AT 1:23 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
If you have an Orielly's in your area, they should have a module tester that will work. Call them first to have them look up the module, and then ask them if their tester will work on it.

You will have to take it off of the car. And I know it seems like a lot of work, but just take your time.

There's not much else to the system except for the crank sensor.

The good news is that they have a new module for only 80 bucks.

Not 300 like you were worried.
Friday, January 16th, 2009 AT 3:30 PM