89 IROC NEEDS SOME HELP

1989 Chevrolet Camaro

rreid

April, 15, 2006 AT 9:04 PM

89 Camaro IROC-Z 117,000 Miles. 5.0 TPI motor, 5sp manual tranny.

It started running rough last summer. Idle was fine, and seemed to rev fine, but when I let out the clutch and gave it gas, it would start to chug.

It would pick up at about 2600rpm, then power would drop off about 3000rpm. I replaced the fuel filter (fuel line was pressurized, so I didn't think it was the pump, plus when I removed the fuel pump fuse, it got worse).

Checked all fuses, replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor to no avail. Then, days later, pulling into my driveway, it quit. Hasn't started since.

Parked it for the winter, then just tried replacing the ignition module. Coil is fine (tested for spark).

I tried cranking until the battery started losing power, then boosted it. Started worrying that I would burn out the starter. When I wait 30 seconds and try, it seems to fire once, then nothing.

I checked the timing, and it was slightly off (about 2 deg) - it should still start right? What else could it be?

rreid

April, 19, 2006 AT 11:53 AM

BUMP. Any suggestions what else I should check? I hate the idea of towing it to a garage if I can figure it out myself.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250