1998 Chevy Camaro High heat running

ENJOITHEJELLO
  • 1998 CHEVROLET CAMARO
One night while I was driving for about an hour, several of the lights on the dash board (brake, airbag, seatbelt) started blinking and my temp guage instantly spiked. Overdrive also stopped working. I stopped the car for a short time and got back on the road with the vehilce running like normal, but from then on it has always run at a higher temp than usual. Most of the time it actually stays near the red line but not actually at it. Occasionally it would over heat and I would shut it down again, check the fluids, look for leaks, and give it some time to cool and be back on my way. Although today it overheated sveral times, and even after letting it cool it would jump right back up to hot within a few miles on the highway. The manual said "if I must drive it after overheating, turn the heaters on max, and keep at a speed which ran the engine at just over 2000 rpm to keep the fans at their most effective speed.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong? Or what I should check besides the fluids?
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 12:57 AM

Try replacing the thermostat and go from there.
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 1:07 AM