1988 Chevy Camaro Diagnostic will not read.

JAZZGIRL23
  • 1988 CHEVROLET CAMARO
I'm trying to get my son's car smogged and the diagnostic will not send any signal to a scanner. We have replaced the computer and had a friend check it with his scanner and it still won't read. Do you think it is the PROM or poss something else. The check eng light flashes very fast and the car's idle is too high and using too much fuel. ( You can smell it)

My son bought the car last year and knows nothing about working on vehicles. I know a little, but not about vehicles with computers. The veh has been sitting in my driveway for the last 6 months because it won't smog and the tags are expired. Please help get this car out of my driveway.
Friday, May 23rd, 2008 AT 2:53 PM

Too fast an idle speed. If an engine without computerized idle speed control is idling too fast and refuses to come down to a normal idle speed despite your best efforts to back off the carburetor idle speed screw or air bypass adjustment screw (fuel injection), air is getting past the throttle somewhere. Common leak paths include the carburetor and throttle body gaskets, carburetor insulator spacers, intake manifold gaskets, and of course, any of the engine's vacuum fittings, hoses and accessories. It is even possible that leaky O-rings around the fuel injectors are allowing air to leak past the seals. Another overlooked item can be a worn throttle shaft and a defective idle speed speed control motor/valve stuck in the extended (high idle speed) position/throttle position sensor. Also the throttle plate could be binding in its bore and kinked accelerator cable, coolant temperature sensor might not be operating properly misleading the computer that the engine is still cold and computer throwing fuel at it raising the idle speed.
Friday, May 23rd, 2008 AT 3:06 PM
JAZZGIRL23
I appreciate your answer about the idle, but it did not answer the orginal question of the computer not sending any thing to a scanner. We have replaced the computer but not the prom. I don't know if the prom was working before my son bought it. The check eng light has been blinking since he bought it. The first time he tried to get it smogged the scanner at the smog place could not read anything.
Friday, May 23rd, 2008 AT 3:27 PM
Your engine management system is OBD1 -try jumping A to B at the ADLC. Should read code 12 -if normal-The scanner might not be compatible.

Could also be an open circuit between the diagnostic connector and ECM.
Friday, May 23rd, 2008 AT 5:00 PM
JAZZGIRL23
It has been checked at 3 different shops and also with my friends scanner. None of the places could get any reading from the ECM. I'm going to check if there is power to the ECM. We checked the fuse and it is good. Will a bad PROM cause a scanner not to get a reading?
Friday, May 23rd, 2008 AT 6:16 PM
Check for power and good ground to it-that don't work-change the PROM or replace the ECM.
Saturday, May 24th, 2008 AT 8:34 AM
SLUGGS
Thursday, July 10th, 2008 AT 7:46 AM
SLUGGS
[/quote:6efcfc5a8e]
Thursday, July 10th, 2008 AT 7:49 AM
SLUGGS
Your car is a 88, I have 89 the problem is that the scanners wont work on older cars so u have to get a paper clip and touch terminal a and b then count flashes and read them in the book. G to get my son's car smogged and the diagnostic will not send any signal to a scanner. We have replaced the computer and had a friend check it with his scanner and it still won't read. Do you think it is the PROM or poss something else. The check eng light flashes very fast and the car's idle is too high and using too much fuel. ( You can smell it)

My son bought the car last year and knows nothing about working on vehicles. I know a little, but not about vehicles with computers. The veh has been sitting in my driveway for the last 6 months because it won't smog and the tags are expired. Please help get this car out of my driveway.[/Quote]
Thursday, July 10th, 2008 AT 8:05 AM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_GM_ALCL_6.jpg

Thursday, July 10th, 2008 AT 1:14 PM