HUB WON'T LOCK

• owlsrkool3d
  • Chevrolet Blazer

I have a 2003 Blazer. When I push the button to shift to 4wd Hi. The light comes on and it looks like the Blazer is in 4WD but the front wheels do not lock in and turn. It appears the electronic portion is working properly because as I push the buttons it transfers from 2Hi to 4Hi and back when I push 2Hi. Should I look at a mechanism used to lock the hubs or are the hubs bad?

Wednesday, February 14th, 2007 AT 8:00 AM

• mathiaso

Check the locking hubs by rotating the brake or rotor slightly and turning the hub selector into the lock position.A click should be hear when the hub engages and the axle should now turn with the hub.
Next, with the still running, turn the selector to the free position.
If it does not work as it should, the hub assembly needs repair.

Wednesday, February 14th, 2007 AT 9:58 AM
  • owlsrkool3d

I believe my hubs are automatic. I don't see a way to lock them on the wheels. I had an explorer in the past that had manual hub locks on the wheels but I don't see those on my chevy.

Wednesday, February 14th, 2007 AT 10:18 AM
  • mathiaso

Sorry for not been carefull to your input.
Look into the connection between
The electric shift motor and the transfer case.
Or the problem is in the transfer case.
Had the system been scaned?

Thursday, February 15th, 2007 AT 10:04 AM
  • funck_master

Hi I would look to the vacuum actuator between the transfer case and the front axle. The older modle are underneith the battery. That could be cause the front axle not to engage.

Saturday, February 17th, 2007 AT 4:59 AM
  • CHEVYII

Actually the switch on the front diff on that year is electronic, if the switch is working and you can hear the transfercase go into gear, it will most likely be the front differential locking switch, 12 bucks and easy to do

Monday, February 19th, 2007 AT 3:39 PM
  • fatalflaw888

Ok the front wheels are engaged by a motor on the side of transfer case and it is controled by a module that is located behind kick panel on passenger side and you may hear it click when you hit the button but the motor maybe to week to engage the transfer case kind of like a weak window lift motor there is no vacuum actuator that shifts the transfer case im not sure what the actuator is for under the tray but it dont shift the transfer case the motor is what I would suspect if the light is on and no 4x4 engaged I could be wrong but my 2003 is not vacuum operated and it would not make since and it does not have locking hubs or automatic hubs for that matter

Tuesday, December 29th, 2015 AT 1:33 AM