2003 Chevy Blazer Slow to start but then runs fine.

MERLIN469
  • 2003 CHEVROLET BLAZER
I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer 4x4 4.3 V6. Over a period of a few months, the truck is becoming successively more difficult to start - it acts as if it's not getting gas right away.

It's been checked at the local mechanic and the usual recommendations have been suggested (most which were already done)

It's had (recently) new plugs, wires, fuel filter, and thermostat (mechanic assured us it was faulty, so at <$15, I replaced)

The engine turns over just fine, so I don't anticipate any starter/battery/charger issues. However, it takes several rotations before the engine will fire.

Once it's running, there's no bogging, hesitation, or apparent loss of power? Also, restarts after short periods of being off do not show the same symptoms.

I know the fuel pump is supposed to run for 1-2 secs before actual turn over? I don't expect any pump issues, though, as it has no problem once started.

ANY thoughts? Thanks in advance!

One additional note. The catalytic converter HAS gone out on this and has not yet been replaced - could this cause the issue (due to incorrect sensor reading on the exhaust side?)

Also looked into adjusting timing to find it self-adjusts. My only other thoughts are possibly PCV valve or oxygen sensor (no codes thrown though), or fuel injectors (the entire assembly would have to be replaced.)

Also, what is a good product to run through the tank to clean the injectors / fuel line?
Monday, April 13th, 2009 AT 6:30 AM

JAMES W.
If your fuel pressure regulator is bleeding down, the 1 to 2 second "prime shot" may not be long enough. Try a little experiment, turn the key to on/off, on/off, 3 or 4 times and "then go to start and see what happens. Let me know.
Monday, April 13th, 2009 AT 1:26 PM
MERLIN469
Three key-turns does the trick, haven't tried it with two yet.

Told the wife it's probably just the age of the vehicle.104K is getting long in the tooth for any Chevy these days.

I don't suppose there is any way to lengthen the time the fuel pump turns on when the key is first applied?

I've recommended to the wife to steer clear of off-brand gas stations.

Also, as a side note to the side note, the wife's favorite mechanic is losing their touch. Turns out the catalytic was just fine. It was the blatantly obvious broken exhaust weld in FRONT of the catalytic that was causing the rattle.

Thanks for the help - let me know if you recommend anything else!

(Also, fuel pressure measured just fine.)
Thursday, April 16th, 2009 AT 6:34 AM
JAMES W.
The 2 to 3 second "prime" shot is burned into the program chip, so it's non-adjustable. Over time the pressure regulator valve and the check valve in the fuel pump wear a little causing your problem. The solutions for the problem are obvious, but as long as you're aware of it, and can live with it I wouldn't worry. Glad you found it.
Thursday, April 16th, 2009 AT 10:05 AM