2001 Chevy Blazer heater core

REDNECKHOSPITALITY
  • 2001 CHEVROLET BLAZER
Whats the best route to fix or can I bypass it. Its the heater core
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 5:48 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
It is simpler to bypass it but then heater would not work. Is best just to replace so it will work properly.
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 6:52 PM
MARK52010
I own a 99 Chevy Blazer and my heater core also just started leaking on me. For now I just removed the two hoses from the heater cores inlet and outlet under the hood of the car on the firewall. I took a 3/8" X 2" piece of pipe and connected the two hoses together with hose clamps. That will bypass the heater core and you will still be able to drive your vehicle without the interior of the vehicle steaming up, smelling or leaking onto the carpeting. You can by a new heater core for about $65.00 for a Delphi that comes with a lifetime warranty. I bought a repair manual from a local auto parts store for Chevy Pickup Trucks, Blazers, and Jimmys. It explains exactly which screws and bolts to remove so you will be able to replace the heater core. If you are very handy and can take apart your dashboard then you may want to attempt to replace it yourself. I have checked around and got prices between $700-$950! I was thinking of attempting to do it myself but since the weather has gotten warmer I don't need heat right now so I have put it off until it starts to get colder. Also you must be very carefull if you do attempt to take apart your dashboard not to disturb any of the air bags sensors that are located in the dashboard. Get the manual and follow the instructions and you can replace the heater core for less than $100! Good luck!
Thursday, May 27th, 2010 AT 7:23 PM