2001 Chevy Blazer Fuel Problem, I think.

JORTESS
  • 2001 CHEVROLET BLAZER
My blazer does not start, it will crank over and want to, but it won't. If I dump starter fluid or gas in th air intake thingy it will fire up and stay running till all the gas has been burnt up. (Like10-15 seconds) I have checked the fuel pressure which is reading between 60-65, however when you shut the vechile down after trying to turn it over it drops down to 40, could this be a fuel regulator problem? I have also used a noid to check the injectors and the wire seems fine, therefore I do not think it is elecrical. I have replaced the temp sensor as well as the ignition switch wires which is what the problem was the last time. Any information would be a great help, I have left this vechile sitting or the last year because of the problem.
Thanks,
Ellielynn
Friday, May 16th, 2008 AT 6:29 AM

MASTERTECHTIM
That is a tell tale sign of a weak fuel pump but im concerned it will not stay running after you dump the fuel into the intake. Usually with a weak fuel pump volume it will run off starter fluid and then continue to run on the fuel pump. Doews the pressure stay at 65 psi when its running on starter fluid? The other test is to install a amp meter on the fuel pump test leade and make sure you have atleast 9.5 amps from fuel pump, less amp draw means not enough volume. But if you have injector pulse, the only possibilities are plugged fuel injectors which is unlikely or bad fuel pump and my money is on the bad fuel pump. Hope this helps
Friday, May 16th, 2008 AT 6:38 AM
JORTESS
It does stay at between 60 and 65 when it is running, I just bought a fuel regulator but haven't put it in yet, I've been told many times that it is the fuel pump, but it is not making sense to me on why the pressure is saying what it should be. I haven't done a amp meter, maybe I should check that because the injectors and the pump cost about the same and I only have enough to buy one of them, so I really need the right part. Lol.
Friday, May 16th, 2008 AT 7:00 AM
MASTERTECHTIM
The amp check is how I determine because it doesnt make sense with the pressure that it doesnt run. These injector poppet nozzles need fuel volume to open so thats why we need to check the amp draw to make sure we have enough volume
Friday, May 16th, 2008 AT 10:42 AM