2001 Chevy Blazer enigine overheating

BDG81
  • 2001 CHEVROLET BLAZER
Hi I have a 2001 chevy blazer that is overheating I tried replacing the thermostat but that didn't solve it. It gets to the check gauges light within about 3 to 5 minutes. Any ideas what could be causing it
Thursday, October 16th, 2008 AT 5:53 PM

JASONRAY
What's important to know here is: Does it get hot sitting still? Does it only get hot while you're driving it. 3 to 5 minutes is pretty quick to get hot. If it only gets hot when you start driving it, most likely it's the radiator. It'll be stopped up. It'll cool enough at idle but the strain of driving it will heat it up too fast for the partial radiator to cool it off. If it gets hot idling, it could be a number of things. Like I said, 3 to 5 minutes is pretty quick. Are you sure it's actually getting THAT hot. Air pockets in the cooling system will cause inaccurate readings on the guage. Rule that out first. Now, with it cool and no pressure on the upper hose, remove the radiator cap. If it uses a pressure cap on an overflow reservoir, remove it. Wherever you add coolant. Top it off with water and start the engine. Observe the coolant. Don't stand over it though because I'm expecting it to start shooting water out. It sounds like you may have a blown head gasket. If compression from the cylinder is getting into the cooling system, the circulation will be greatly interrupted, thus causing rapid overheating. If it doesn't shoot water out, watch it, along with the guage and see what the coolant does. Make sure it starts circulating. When the thermostat opens, the level will drop in the radiator some and start moving. If the water pump is working, that is. On rare occasions, I've seen the impellers on the water pump worn down due to lack of maintenence on the cooling system. Dirty water, over a period of time, will errode the impellers off of the water pump. Try raising the RPMs to about 1500 while observing the coolant. (Cap still off). See if it starts to circulate more water or see if it starts to cool off some. Enough for now. Repost if needed. I'll keep trying if none of this works.
Thursday, October 16th, 2008 AT 6:27 PM