2001 Chevy Blazer Car chugs/doesnt start when its been rain

CJILLSON7030
  • 2001 CHEVROLET BLAZER
I have been having problems with my car chugging and/or nit starting. This has been going on for 4 mos. I have had it looked at by two garages and family and friends and everyone is stumped. When I've taken it in and had a computer hooked up, the mechanic says there is nothing wrong with my car. It started with it not starting whenever there was a big change it outside temperature (from cold to warm). My dad had to take things apart and dry them out because everything would be flooded with gas. This kept happening and my dad replaced the fuel filter, plugs and wires, mass airflow sensors, cap and rotor, fuel injector spider w/fuel regulator, and modulator for coil. Then one day it wouldn't start even after sitting four three days. Had it towed to a garage and they replaced the fuel pump. It started easily after that (2 months ago) although it still chugged a little from 0 mph to about 20-25 mph. Yesterday it was rainy all day and I noticed that it was chugging way worse, even after reaching 30mph. It rained this morning and is still damp outside and now my car will not start again. What could this possibly be? We are stumped.
Saturday, August 8th, 2009 AT 1:06 PM

SERVICE WRITER
IMHO, I think you are best to take the truck to the shop that diagnosed the pump. First off they nailed down the problem, second if it comes back to be a pump, it comes to nothing. Or shouldn't anyways.

I get the feeling you probably aren't going to trouble shoot this yourself. We can spend a lot of time talking about the possiblilities, but I think it will be moot.

I apologize if I seem blunt, and would be glad to help out if you are going to trouble shoot. I expect this to be a loss of spark in some form. Checking the codes at this point should be done to start off.
Monday, August 10th, 2009 AT 7:00 PM
CJILLSON7030
I am trouble shooting at this point. It turned out to be flooded and then just started up again today(2 days later). I expect it to keep happening anytime there is a change in temperature or extreme dampness. It always seems to flood. There is always a bit of chug, but when the chugging suddenly gets worse I am sure its not going to start again. I also once in awhile smell a very strong odor that smells like pancake syrup. Does anyone know where the cold water sensor is located and if this could be the problem?
Monday, August 10th, 2009 AT 7:21 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Check for codes first would be a good idea, but not always revealing..

CTS can cause this, but would not associate dampness in my experience.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_cts_3.jpg

Either weak spark or excessive fuel is what we have. a CTS can give a bad reading when cold and cause excessive fuel because the computer thinks it is colder than it really is.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_cts1_1.jpg

Monday, August 10th, 2009 AT 7:38 PM
CJILLSON7030
The only thing is, when it started chugging and then wouldn't start Saturday, it was 97 degrees out. Yes, it happens when its cold out and suddenly warms up, but it also happens when its wet out. Although Saturday it went from 81 to 97 degrees over night. It always eventually just starts right up again. Anywhere from 1-3 days later. It has never shown any codes, that's why when I have taken it in they cant find anything. Its been hooked up multiple times with no codes.
Monday, August 10th, 2009 AT 8:51 PM
SERVICE WRITER
The CTS can cause this. It may not show a code but be the source. I just meant that if anything can give you a clue, it is nice to have and may speed up testing.
Tuesday, August 11th, 2009 AT 7:51 PM
MANIBENGOOD
I had the same problem I eventually had to take it to Chevy's automotive shop. Come to find out it was the Distributor cap. In this model chevy they are notorious for corrosion in the cap. I spent over $200 trying to find the problem and then I go to chevy and they tell me it is a $40 fix!

So check your distributor cap.
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 5:19 PM
CJILLSON7030
Thank-you, I will check it out. I hope it ends up being something that cheap and easy. It was running good the last week until yesterday when it rained again.
Monday, August 17th, 2009 AT 11:28 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Cap was replaced wasn't it?
You can try to flush out the problem by doing a moisture test. When it's dry, pull the truck into the garage and mist the cap and work your way down to the plugs. Waiting a few seconds after each spray to see if any runnibility problems start happening.

IF it does turn off the lights and see if any arcing is happening.
Tuesday, August 18th, 2009 AT 5:38 AM