2001 Chevy Blazer 4th Gear Goes Away When Cold

JERRYLMO
  • 2001 CHEVROLET BLAZER
About 60,000 miles ago I had the tranmission rebuilt. Recently, it started doing something pretty strange. I'm on my way to work and within 10 minutes of starting out I'm on the highway. After getting up to speed on the highway and the trans is in 4th gear all of the sudden it's like it's in neutral. To keep going I pull it down into 3rd gear and it goes into gear properly and holds OK. After about 30 - 60 seconds I put it back in 4th gear and it holds. After that, it's fine for the rest of the trip. The shifts are solid and it doesn't slip. The only other thing I've ever noticed is after it's up to operating temp, if I'm at a stop light and gently accelerate from a stop, there's a split second pause before 1st gear catches completely. I don't know if that's related but I thought it might be helpful info.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Friday, September 11th, 2009 AT 10:06 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi jerrylmo,

Thank you for the donation.

Both problems should be related. It indicates a possible fault with the trans valve body or pressure, There could be internal pressure leaking somewhere.

Check the transmission fluid level and condition first. If you had not replaced the trans fluid since the rebuilt, it should be time to do so and hope it solves the problem.
Friday, September 11th, 2009 AT 10:57 AM